Cons of Storing Oil in Fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SNPiccolo5

Senior Cook
Hi everyone,

I've recently started storing my oil (olive, safflower) in the fridge. I figure it's cold and dark, so the oil won't degrade as quickly.

Are there any cons to this?

Thanks!

Tim

Some oils will gel at fridge temps. Dispensing it may be an issue.
The oil takes up space that could be used for other things.
It's not necessary.

Sesame and olive oil don't do too well, but we do put the sesame in there because sesame oil goes rancid really quick.
It gets gloppy and forms white goo which all dissapates when heated, and olive oil does get cloudy in the fridge.
I dunno if the temp would alter it in any way, as heating things does alter them.
Hopefully it wouldn't do anything unhealthy to it.
I'm thinking it might attract moisture which could be slightly dangerous while heating, but not sure there.

If you have room, and you don't mind them getting a little thick and hard to pour, there is no problem. My cabinet where I keep my oils gets very cold in the winter, and I have never noticed any moisture accumulation inside the bottle, or any other problems.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's good to know that "geling" is normal. So far they've been fine (even the olive). I don't imagine moisture would be a problem as long as the bottle is sealed.

Tim

Tim, as others have said, there is no issue, it's just not necessary. Have you had a problem with oils going rancid?

Also, I see you're moving to Boston. You'll love it here.

Hey Andy -- I did have some trouble with oils going rancid. My apartment right now is situated so that we used to store the oils above the oven and stove and that area can get pretty hot. I had some troubles with chocolate melting, etc... It was not good! So the fridge is more a convenience than anything else :)

And, I DO love Boston! I've never stayed there for more than a couple days, but I have work starting in Boston in the fall, so I am very excited to move there. I'm excited about the East Coast in general, too. I love how you can city hop to say, Newport, RI, or take a train to New York for a weekend. Also, it helps that my fiance's family is there.

You can be sure I'll be asking about restaurants sometime VERY soon after I move :)

No doubt you will get improved shelf life in the fridge with most oils. Viscosity at room temp will give you a heads up which oil will gel. The heavier the oil at room temp, the more viscosity at 34 degrees. Animal fats (duck, back, etc) will do better from a frozen state. For some puff hors'd ouerves for a , we like to brush the pastry with duck fat. Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
i've learned to go with the smallest bottle of oil that I use and just make do even if it's more expensive per oz as mine mostly go rancid before I finish them.....I've gotten into the habit of always doing a sniff test before I use oil or even shortening (crisco) before using in a recipe......amazing how quickly they can change on you..and believe me you'll know when it's rancid and anything that you cook with it will have that awful smell

The only con I know of, is that the oil solidifies in the cool temperatures and you would need to wait for it to get back to room temperature again before being able to pour it.

None of my oil has ever gone bad, so I am not so sure it needs to be refrigerated at all. I never put it in the fridge.

Mel:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom