Crisco's CCC Recipe ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshatdot

Senior Cook
Ever since I've been trying my hand at baking, I've been trying different CCC recipes. I've only done 3 or 4 so far; Tollhouse, Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book (1981), Alton Brown's Puffy CCC, and this last one had very odd results.

Crisco's Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 stick Crisco Butter Flavor Shorting Sticks
or 3/4 cup Crisco Butter Flavor Shorting
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown suger
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 (6oz) pkg of semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)

------

Errr...I think I know part of my issue is. As I was typing this recipe out, it called for 6oz of CCs .. I used a 12oz package. Also instead of pecans, I used a 6oz package of raisins.

Anywho, these CCCs came out rather flat, very chewy and left a oily spot on the parchment paper they were cooking & cooling on. The one thing that struck me as odd, was the absence of regular sugar. The dough came out rather creamy and almost like a thick cake frosting. Once the CCs & raisins were added, it just made it chunky.

I have about 1/2 of the batch left, and was thinking it needed more flour to thicken it up, add some structure & hopefully get them to raise and stay that way.

Attachments

• DSC_0959.jpg
    DSC_0959.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 244
How'd they taste?

For thicker cookies (not thicker dough), chill the dough in the fridge for an hour then keep it chilled as you bake.

They taste really CC'y (of course there is 2x the amt), moist & chewy (because of the raisins) .. I was hoping for puffy/thick (at least 10mm thick) cookies.

I prolly did not chill them long enuff in the fridge after mixing. They are really cold now (over night), I'll try them again .. unless there is something else I should do.

edit: I forgot to add, our oven can do reg. baking or convection baking. What would be the best?

Last edited:
Either convection or regular baking will do fine.

Both the brown sugar and the raisins add to the chewiness. If you wanted to do half brown and half granulated sugar, the cookies would be crisper.

Next time, make the recipe as published and see if you like the results. Then make changes and note the effect of the changes so you can get to the cookies you want.

I think for now, I'll stick to Tollhouse CCCs, or Alton Browns recipes, they've came out the best, IMHO.

Well, I can't really try these again, my folks and sister picked & ate away most of the remaining dough. I could prolly bake 3 or 4 cookies, but I'll/we'll just eeat the rest of dough, hehe:chef:

My favorite CCC recipe is the following: It makes very high/thick, crisp cookies.

NEIMAN-MARCUS CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1 Lb Unsalted Butter - softened
2 C Sugar
2 C Light Brown Sugar
4 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
5 C Oatmeal
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Baking Soda
4 C Sifted Flour
1 tsp Salt
24 Oz Chocolate Chips
8 Oz Milk Chocolate, grated (Grates more easily if frozen)
3 C Chopped Walnuts

Cream the butter and sugars together.

Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.

Blend the oatmeal to a fine powder in a blender or food processor. Combine with the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Combine this mixture with the previous mixture.

Add in the chocolates and the nuts.

Place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 13 minutes at 375º F

For best results, the dough should be chilled for 30 minutes before starting and kept in the refrigerator between uses.

The cookie sheets should go in the freezer between trips to the oven.

Makes approximately 112 cookies

Thanks for the recipe Andy M, will give that a shot next time I bake CCCs :chef:

Wow, this makes ALOT of dough & cookies!

i have a recipe that is for thin and crisp, wonderful. don't remember where i got it. on line i think. if you like em this way and would like the recipe and pm me and i will send to you.

I kinda like em thick/tall/puffy, and golden crisp outside..almost cake like, but not as airy.

I remember having some that were very thin, almost candy like and crisp..those were good from what I remember.

I've had this argument with my wife about soda in baking for ever, finally she started listen to me. To promote the reaction of baking soda the recipe needs an (I think it is called) levaning agent, i.e something sour. I recomend vinegar in this case. Otherwise soda doesn't do what it is supposed to do. It just seats there inside the dough and makes it taste bitter. I finally convinced her to try and now her CCC are the best ever.

Anything sour would probably work, like yougurt for example, depending on proportion.

Vinegar, I would put your baking soda in a serving spoon and start pooring vinegar very slowly, as soon as reaction stps you've added enough vinegar, I would even mix it a little bit. For 3/4 tsp of soda I think you'd need a full Table sspoon if vinegar, aproxcimately.

Josh, the brown sugar in your original recipe contains molasses. That provides the acidic environment needed to activate the baking soda. No need to doctor the recipe.

Thanks CharlieD, I'll experiment on my next batch, 3/4tsp BS + 1tbsp vinegar.

Andy M, I am trying to puff up my cookies..I am not going to use the Crisco version, I'll try 1/2 of the neman-marcus recipe, alone..then maybe try the vinegar on the other half...or maybe 1/4 the whole thing...hehe

Andy, I challenge you to try adding vinegar, molasses in brown sugar alone is just not enough. If you are using baking powder it is a different story, but to promote reaction in baking soda you really need to push it harder. It took me 5 years to talk my wife into doing this, now she wouldn't even start the batch if she doesn't have vinegar. And she makes pretty darn good cookies. Even I like them.

Andy, I challenge you to try adding vinegar, molasses in brown sugar alone is just not enough. If you are using baking powder it is a different story, but to promote reaction in baking soda you really need to push it harder. It took me 5 years to talk my wife into doing this, now she wouldn't even start the batch if she doesn't have vinegar. And she makes pretty darn good cookies. Even I like them.

Thanks Charlie but it was Josh who was not satisfied with the height of his cookies, not me. My recipe i in an earlier post in this thread and it works great for me.

I wasn't satisfied with the Crisco CCCs, thought it could have been my fault, 2x the CCs & I added raisins. I kinda started this to see if anyone else tried Criscos', and if they liked it or not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom