I need a new dishwasher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Our dishwasher bit the dust the other day so I am going to replace it this weekend. I have never bought a dishwasher before so I could use some direction. What things are important to look for? What are brands to look at and brands to stay away from? What features are a must have and what are pointless? Any other advice you could give would be appreciated as well. We would like to stay on the inexpensive side as this is an unplanned purchase and money is something we are trying to save right now.

I recommend a DW with a sanitizing cycle. It heats the water to a hotter temp, around 195 F, to sanitize the contents.

Ours has a touchpad rather than a dial to set the functions. It's a Kenmore Elite. It works great. I've had it for 10 years with no problems.

Excellent. Thanks Andy. I think they one we have now (which we have always hated) is a Whirlpool so I am probably going to stay away from those. I have heard good things about the Kenmore Elite in the little bit of research I have done.

Look for a tall tub model. They generally will hold more dishes. Also stay away from any model that has the sprayer come up in the center. I've had two Maytags now over the past 15 years (second one just this year) and they have the spray arm under each rack. I rarely have problems with things stopping the arms from spraying the dishes well. Also make sure it has the food disposal options, Not all DW have that so pieces of food that are not rinsed off will get sloshed onto your dishes.

Thanks jabbur. I did not realize that not all of them have the food disposal option. That is definitely something I want.

Mine has that as well. I have found that sometimes, solid food particles don't make it down the drain and end up spattered around the insides of some of the glasses and dishes. As a result, I rinse off food particles before washing.

Kitchen Aid used to be good...I owned one that lasted for many trouble free years.....I hear not so good now....Personally I wouldn't buy anything that had a GE logo on it...Have Kenmore now..suggest Large Capacity...Taller items can go on both top and bottom...I would stay away from Whirlpool Brand too...Even though the parent company makes just about all brands now...Except LG...another brand to avoid........HTH

Fun!

Quiet! The stainless interior models are quieter.

Also look for one that has a one piece door instead of a hinge seam a few inches above toes kick. That seam catches dirt.

I second the food grinder options. Some really slick ones have controls on top edge of door.

I have been using a Bosch 300 Series Evolution, $636.00, for 3 months now and what I like about it is the stainless steel tub, extra tall tub, almost silent, uses about 1 tablespoon of detergent and very little water and gets dishes noticeably cleaner than the Kitchen Aide, has the capacity to do a half load with even less detergent and water, even though I have not used that feature yet, it has a split silverware basket so one part can be removed to provide more space for other items, the racks can be adjusted to custom design the space needed, and it has split neat little shelves on the top rack to hold large flat items like spatulas. The only possible down side is it takes pert near two hours to run a load, but the dishes, pots and pans are extremely clean and shiny. Did I mention the machine makes very little noise?;)

PS...If you go the Kenmore route be advised their service is less than stellar...To speak with Service and Repair be prepared to speak Farsi...Indian...or whatever they speak in Pakistan etc...Much better to do business with a local small business repair shop......

Fun!

Excellent advice everyone, thanks! I am finding myself falling into my same old habits of starting out thinking I can get away with a lower end model and then learning about all the features I want having to adjust my outlook. I really want a quieter model than what we have now as I often want to run it before going to bed, but it is very close to the kids bedrooms and I am always worried I would wake them if I ran it. A quiet model would enable me to run it when they are asleep and not have to worry. I thought I could get away without a SS tub, but maybe that is something I should spend the extra $ on if it is going to be that much of a difference in volume.

Look for a DW with a top shelf that is adjustable for height. It allows you to put in taller items like wine glasses.

I have a bosch also and really like it. I've had it at least two years so I'm sure the model is out of date. I have never had a problem with it. It gets hot enough to not only clean but sanitize and it is very quiet. When I purchased the dishwasher I looked at Consumer Reports and at the time it was highly rated. Everyone I know who has a Bosch is happy with it.

I would love a Bosch. unfortunately I think those are going to be more than I want to spend. If it were my decision alone I would probably do it, but thankfully I have a wonderful wife who tries her best to keep my spending in check.

I shop for the item I want, then I go to our local Appliance Wholesale and tell them what I am willing to pay for it We barter a little but I always get my appliances cheaper. In this economy you may be able to negotiate for what you want whether it be a kenmore or bosch. I know at both Sears and Lowes the manager has a little wiggle room.

That is very good to know recipedirect. I will certainly be asking what they can do for me.

That is very good to know recipedirect. I will certainly be asking what they can do for me.
I will be doing the same thing GB..This darn thing of mine is out to get me!! It makes me so angry to have re-wash things by hand after running a load in that thing. I don't over fill it,but it just laughs at me so it's going bye bye:LOL:
kades

LOL I know the feeling Kadesma. My wife used to laugh at me when I took a mug out of the cabinet because you never knew if there was going to be caked on food stuck to it.

Back
Top Bottom