Omelette - Butter vs Cooking Spray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SubwayScriptures

Assistant Cook
I wanted to know from anyone who is particularly good with omelettes:

I used to see the cooks at omelette bars using cooking spray to grease their pans, so I started to do that too. But I've also been reading a number of recipes that call for the use of butter to grease the pan instead.

Does anyone know what the pros/cons of either are? Or does anyone have a particular preference for one over the other, and why?

Grazie mille!

depends. I wouldn't use that aerosol can apcray (read the ingredient list!), but sometimes I film the pan with olive oil from my Misto.

I prefer butter, though. Think it enhances the flavor of the omelet.

Basically... butter = better flavor. Got it. I always did feel funny spraying down my pan with (what felt like) a can of spray paint. Thanks all!

Butter gives better flavor and a bit more "browning" to the omelett. I use a non-stick pan with butter for my eggs and omeletts. Many omelett bars use clarified butter since it can be used at a higher heat without burning.

You use clarified butter-Just ask jacques or julia !,butter taste and no stick and good browning, I've made omelettes for 40 at two every three minutes in a mauviel skillet , hot very hot. if my people saw me spray crap into the pan they would chuck their cookies I think.

Butter makes everything delicious and rich...if ur watching ur weight I think use the spary but if not butter all the way;)

Butter.........

I don't have that nasty spay in my kitchen. Over a long period of time, that spray will ruin all of your cookware.....just think of your innards. lol

I agree subway, spray oil feels like "spray paint".

American butter contains fat, water and milk solids (and salt if you have salted butter). Clarified butter is close to 100% fat.

Unslated butter is melted and heated to cook off the water. You are left with some white foam on top, yellow fat in the middle and milk solids on the bottom. Skim off the foam, pour off and save the fat and discard the milk solids. Viola! Clarified butter.

Pure butter fat (clarified butter) will keep for a long time at room temperature without spoiling.

Pure butter fat (clarified butter) will keep for a long time at room temperature without spoiling.
It also has a much higher smoke point than regular butter. The trade off is that clarified butter has less flavor than regular butter.

If you have ever gone out to a restaurant and ordered a lobster then chances are it was served with a little dish of clarified butter. Personally, I like regular melted butter for my lobster as it has more flavor than clarified.

I would agree that any fat is fine to use depending on what, if any, flavor you want to get from it. The key thing to remember is to have a hot pan before adding the fat, sauté whatever, then the egg mix. If you put room temp fat in a room temp pan then add your egg then you will get some sticking.

One thing I don’t understand is why some people seem to think cooking spray is bad for you?

I don't have a problem with spray oil. I have used it for various things, including spraying baking pans (lubrication) and a roast chicken before roasting (browning the skin).

I disagree about the oil/pan thing. As long as the pan and the oil are both hot before you add the food, sticking will not be a problem. After all, the food doesn't know when you added the oil to the pan.

I tested this with a tri-ply SS skillet, canola oil and eggs. Once heating the pan then adding the oil to the hot pan, heating the oil and adding the egg. Another time adding the oil to the pan and heating them both together before adding the egg.

Fried each egg over easy and got the same results both times. No sticking either time.

Back
Top Bottom