Rotisseries for ovens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fnorrisnielson

Assistant Cook
Does anyone know of a mechanical rotisserie that can be used in a regular oven. Does such a thing exist? If not, why not? An electronic device probably wouldn't stand up to the temperatures inside an oven but there may be other solutions. Any ideas?

Hi fnorrisneilson,
I haven't seen any aftermarket rotisseries that are designed for home ovens, probably for the reason that you mentioned. It would probably be very expensive to design an electric motor and gear reduction system that could stand up to cooking temps. I'm sure that a manufacturer could design one that could be built into the oven though. If you find one or come up with any ideas, I'd like to hear about it.

sounds like it would make a mess.

Actually, I'd bet this is a major reason why they don't exist. You'd have to clean your oven after each use.

I have no doubt the technology exists to get the job done. There are any number of commercial/industrial applications that already exist. Many commercial ovens have revolving shelves that move foods around in the oven so items can be put in and removed at different times.

There are already ovens that have built in rotisseries in them. Unfortunately mine is not one of them. I don't know why some think it would require the cleaning of the oven after each use. Unless you aren't using a drip pan or are spinning the rotisserie so fast that the juices are being thrown off rather than dripping down and basting the bird or roast as it is designed to do.

...I don't know why some think it would require the cleaning of the oven after each use. Unless you aren't using a drip pan or are spinning the rotisserie so fast that the juices are being thrown off rather than dripping down and basting the bird or roast as it is designed to do.

When roasting a bird or a roast in a pan in the oven there is a certain amount of fat spatter off the surface of the meat. Raising the meat into mid-air and rotating it slowly (not spinning it around fast) would exacerbate that spatter.

OK! Well so much for that idea. Silly me! But of course some people might try protecting their ovens with a few sheets of strategically placed aluminum foil to guard against just such an eventuality. Ah, but that would require extra time and fuss and would ultimately tip the scales against using a rotisserie in an oven like a rotisserie oven. Sigh.

You could get a rotisserie for your outdoor grill.

Thanks Andy. I have an old fashioned hand turned rotisserie that works quite well. I suppose I could modify it for use in the oven but it would be inefficient since much heat would be lost from the constant opening and closing of the door.

Thanks Andy. I have an old fashioned hand turned rotisserie that works quite well. I suppose I could modify it for use in the oven but it would be inefficient since much heat would be lost from the constant opening and closing of the door.

I wasn't suggesting you use the grill rotisserie in the oven, I meant you should just do your rotisserie on the grill.

Does anyone know of a mechanical rotisserie that can be used in a regular oven. Does such a thing exist? If not, why not? An electronic device probably wouldn't stand up to the temperatures inside an oven but there may be other solutions. Any ideas?

One does exist that I've found. " Googled " Rotisserie oven kits. Spit rods and such.
This is the only one I could find. The only thing is.. Where can you buy it? Lost me on that. Apparently QVC was selling it for $28.00.
But anyways here's a video. It's fast paced, a little too fast. It looks to me if you place a drip pan underneath splatter and drippings can be kept to a minimum.

Leantisserie Self-Rotating Oven Rotisserie & Kabob Roaster review at Kaboodle

Same product. Video included.

Inventist, Inc. - Home

Good luck.

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom