Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Pork (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/)
-   -   First Boston Butt! (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/first-boston-butt-63795.html)

vagriller 03-29-2010 09:40 PM

First Boston Butt!

Well, i just rubbed my first Boston Butt. Here is the rub recipe I used, in descending quantity order.

brown sugar
sea salt
garlic powder
paprika
chili powder
crushed red pepper
ground cumin
fresh ground black pepper
ground mustard
cinnamon

I will leave it in the fridge till tomorrow evening. Then I plan to throw it in the crockpot to cook on low all night, and maybe till noon or so. I saw where someone (maybe Andy M) said to cook to 160 for sliceable pork, and to 190 for pulled pork. I am aiming for pulled pork, so it might have to cook till noon. Any tips or suggestions?

Andy M. 03-29-2010 10:20 PM

I aim for higher temps. 190F is sliceable and 205 is easily pull-able.

bigdaddy3k 03-29-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagriller (Post 886944)
Well, i just rubbed my first Boston Butt.

HEY HEY HEY!! This is a family site!!!!

FrankZ 03-29-2010 10:50 PM

Sounds like a nice rub. Of course with griller in your user name one would think you wouldn't be putting this in a crock pot. :wink:

TATTRAT 03-29-2010 11:43 PM

So much goodness, I wouldn't want to shoot down the crock pot. . .but, either way, should be good eats. Hard to flub a but. Good luck, Rog, let us know how it goes!

vagriller 03-30-2010 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankZ (Post 886957)
Sounds like a nice rub. Of course with griller in your user name one would think you wouldn't be putting this in a crock pot. :wink:

Yeah I know but I won't be here all day to smell, uh...I mean tend to it. Honestly I could start it or finish it on the grill though. I usually throw a chunk of cherry wood on the grill when I am doing other stuff, so it would get some smoke to it. Which do you guys recommend? I am open to suggestions. I have a charcoal smoker too, but that's more of an all day Saturday thing. I would like to be eating pulled pork for dinner Wed night! And then Thursday for lunch. And dinner, and...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TATTRAT (Post 886970)
So much goodness, I wouldn't want to shoot down the crock pot. . .but, either way, should be good eats. Hard to flub a but. Good luck, Rog, let us know how it goes!

Thanks TATT! I will definitely let you guys know how it goes. Can't wait!

vagriller 03-30-2010 03:34 PM

So...no tips? I figured you guys would be all over this!

kadesma 03-30-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagriller (Post 887113)
So...no tips? I figured you guys would be all over this!

you doing it in the slow cooker? That's how I do my pulled pork and I can't busy fingers from eating before dinner:lol:
cj

vagriller 03-30-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadesma (Post 887133)
you doing it in the slow cooker? That's how I do my pulled pork and I can't busy fingers from eating before dinner:lol:
cj

Yes, I'm doing it that way this time. Won't be too much chance of fingers getting into it before dinner tonight. Dinner is in a hour! It did smell so good from the rub though.

kadesma 03-30-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagriller (Post 887136)
Yes, I'm doing it that way this time. Won't be too much chance of fingers getting into it before dinner tonight. Dinner is in a hour! It did smell so good from the rub though.

Your rub looks yummy...I plan to try one the next one I do...I think you guys will love it.
cj