First Boston Butt!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I woke at 3:30, and came into the kitchen and stuck a thermometer in the pork and it was done! I really could have taken it out much sooner. It actually seemed a little too fall off the bone tender. I had to get it out of the crockpot in chunks. But then after I bagged it and put it in the fridge it looked like BBQ this morning. So I had some!

It was pretty good, but will be better when I can get some better BBQ sauce and get the vinegar/red pepper sauce mix down. Any tips on that? Or do most of you guys just like it w/ BBQ Sauce?

Ok, I'll just have bbq sauce available. I would make some, but dinner tonight will be a quick thing. Good thing the main course is done!

Hi,

OK grabbed a shoulder here today and am just about to try this out. After I do the rub how long should I let it sit before the crock pot?

No liquid is added, just let it cook in the fats that will melt out of the cut correct?

Cook on the lowest setting of the crock pot?

This is my first attempt at "pulled pork" and also the crock pot that was just given to me...

Any advice, tips, suggestion, amendment to what has come before in the thread?

Tks

Hi,

OK grabbed a shoulder here today and am just about to try this out. After I do the rub how long should I let it sit before the crock pot?

No liquid is added, just let it cook in the fats that will melt out of the cut correct?

This is my first attempt at "pulled pork" and also the crock pot that was just given to me...

Tks

You can put the butt directly into the crock after the rub, no need to wait. Yes no juice, it will make plenty on its own. Set on "low", not on "warm".

Advice? Use napkins.

Hi,

Tks

I let mine sit in the fridge for almost a whole day, but yes you could throw it in the crockpot right away. I thought it was going to have to cook for 12 hours or more, but I checked it at 10 hours and it was ready to go. I could probably have taken it out earlier too.

I let mine sit in the fridge for almost a whole day, but yes you could throw it in the crockpot right away. I thought it was going to have to cook for 12 hours or more, but I checked it at 10 hours and it was ready to go. I could probably have taken it out earlier too.

I have actually taken the frozen shoulder, put it in the crock, piled the rub on top, and leave for work. Come back at dinner and it tastes great. It still cannot compare to a fine slow grilled butt but it works pretty good for a weekday.

I have actually taken the frozen shoulder, put it in the crock, piled the rub on top, and leave for work. Come back at dinner and it tastes great. It still cannot compare to a fine slow grilled butt but it works pretty good for a weekday.

I'm eating burritos made with the pulled pork right now! Just pile some on a tortilla with your favorite bbq sauce, cheese, and nuke till cheese is melty. Yum!

Ask and you shall receive!

Attachments

• 758300372_b4a2b49ded.jpg
    758300372_b4a2b49ded.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 179
I'm eating burritos made with the pulled pork right now! Just pile some on a tortilla with your favorite bbq sauce, cheese, and nuke till cheese is melty. Yum!

You know.. if you keep rubbing it in we all will be showing up to get some of that pig. :pig:

I have finished my first Boston Butt using my own rub with elements of the rub here added. I also adapted the recipe here a little The Way the Cookie Crumbles » Blog Archive » crockpot pulled pork finishing with a BBQ sauce as they do.

img_887579_0_b447f88d876a4653520e799d0e0b211a.jpg
img_887579_1_b447f88d876a4653520e799d0e0b211a.jpg

Does this look like it should? Not being from the land of BBQ I am not too sure, but it seems right and tastes delicious.

Now.. The thing my wife and I cannot figure out is why does everyone put this on buns when you can just stand around the crock pot eating it directly out of it as we have been doing since dinner is not for a few hours? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom