Wild Game?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
Hello i just bought some wild game and over the coming weeks and months i would like cooking advice and recipes ? So hopefully i can keep this thread alive.

I have bought the following

Venison steaks
diced venison
venison roasting joint
venison sausages
Wild boar roasting joint
patridge breast fillets
pigeon breasts
pheastant breasts fillets
diced rabbit
widgeon

Thank you

I've had good luck roasting venison shanks in the moist heat achieved by using a roemmer topf and making a goulash type stew with a sour cream gravy from cubed venison. Bird breast should be good as cordon bleu or parmigiana.

Hello i just bought some wild game and over the coming weeks and months i would like cooking advice and recipes ? So hopefully i can keep this thread alive.

I have bought the following

Venison steaks
diced venison
venison roasting joint
venison sausages
Wild boar roasting joint
patridge breast fillets
pigeon breasts
pheastant breasts fillets
diced rabbit
widgeon

Thank you
Diced venison is just screaming to be made into stew!!
The roasting joint... cover it with your dry spices you prefer then lay fatty bacon all over it and roast!
Steaks are steaks...
Boar joint... I would consider making pulled pork BBQ!!!
Partridge, Pheasant, widgeon.. think chicken..

Diced rabbit.... hmmm.. any meat diced can make stew.. I would think about grinding it and mixing in with a little lamb and make rabbit/lamb burgers.

The thing is i dont want to cook the game to death like one does with chicken , so maybe i will ask your advice as and when i am thinking of doing the dishes,

The thing is i dont want to cook the game to death like one does with chicken , so maybe i will ask your advice as and when i am thinking of doing the dishes,

This "one" does NOT cook chicken to death, and neither does she cook game to death. That's up to the cook, not the recipe!

My go-to game book is John Ash's "American Game Cooking."

However, not all game sold in US is actually "wild." and that which is raised, will NOT be as gamy as that whuch has been hunted in the wild. You should know your source before deciding on your cooking methods, because that can make quite a difference in the method of cooking that's best for each cut.

Next sunday i am going to cook a wild boar joint i was wondering if it needed any special preparation when roasting or does one cook it like pork

You don't have to cook it to death, similar preparations for wild birds as you would for chicken work great. If you want to leave it a little on the rare side that is your choice. you asked, if you don't like the answers you do not need to reply in such a curt manor.

One of the BEST pheasant dishes I have eaten was a simple rotisserie of pheasant, just like you would do a chicken.. Lightly basted, it was delicious. I have also had fantastic fried quail. So tasty!!
Frankly if you don't want suggestions, don't ask.

I am sorry if i came across curt that was not my intention at all , but i am confused with how to cook to as i wont it to be tasty but i dont want to make people ill

you guys are something else......give me a recipe that will make me forget the year I had to cook deer steaks in a thousand different ways and pretend that I loved them because big game hunter hubby killed one at Christmas and we were so poor that I had to record when I bought bubble gum.. ....a thousand ways to die...to this day Bambi meat makes me gag......all kidding aside..........go with the basics.....I think that the most important detail in cooking wild game is to find a good marinade.........with Bambi it was olive oil and seasonings

I am sorry if i came across curt that was not my intention at all , but i am confused with how to cook to as i wont it to be tasty but i dont want to make people ill
Thats cool.. forums are tough sometimes. Things do not come across as desired.

Seriously.. you have some great game there.. You don't have to do anything special, it's still just what I consider red meat or it is fowl... have fun with it.

Back
Top Bottom