Help! New SS Cuisinart compared to old Revere ware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jglass618

Assistant Cook
I had stainless steel, copper bottomed but relatively inexpensive Revere ware for 20-plus years. Loved it. You can scrub it with a Brillo pad, wash it in the dishwasher, etc. and it still looks good after all those years. Then I lost it in a divorce. I still have my mother's Revere ware, which is now 56 years old. It looks almost as good, but two handles were missing, so I went out in search of new set. I bought the 13 piece Cuisinart stainless steel with aluminum disc in the bottom, clad outside in stainless steel. (I forget the exact name - I already returned it.) Boiled shrimp in one pan the first week and it got black marks in the bottom, which could not be removed by soaking, using a yellow/green rough side sponge, or even a Brillo pad. Utensils also scratched other pans. I don't understand why my 54 year old stainless steel is in better shape. I don't want cookware that I can't use high heat on, can't scrub with a Brillo pad, and can't put in the dishwasher (some forum messages have said don't put it in the dishwasher. That's crazy talk! Was it just the Cuisinart brand, or is this true of all stainless steel, and I just have to accept it? Or, drive to Dallas to the outlet mall, the only place to get Revere ware?

Most of my cookware is SS. I don't own any scouring pads like Brillo or SOS and wouldn't use them on SS if I had them. You should never need anything more than a blue scrubber sponge (safe for non-stick) and some Barkeepers Friend - a mild scouring powder and stain remover.

Nostalgia aside, I've cooked with the old Revere ware and Faber ware pans and the new stuff is worlds better.

Look for SS cookware that is tri-ply. That is, two layers of SS sandwiching an aluminum layer throughout the whole pan - not just a disk on the bottom.

If you get these with metal handles, they can go into the oven and the dishwasher with no issues. Surface scratches from metal utensils are just cosmetic and not a real issue.

I have no idea what happened with the stains in the shrimp pan. It's never happened to me.

One of my 'go to' pans is a Cuisinart tri-ply 3.5-quart saute pan and it works great.

We're quite satisfied with our old Revere Ware but do not know if the newer Rever Ware is as good. Even our oold Farberware is easier to maintain than much of the newer stuff. You might want to consider checking out some thrift stores as well as garage or lawn sales.

Back
Top Bottom