Drinkability throughout the wine making process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
A few years ago I had the pleasure of making my own wine.
Although the end product wasnt the greatest in the world ( im being kind), I tasted it throughout the process, and there were times when it tasted actually very good.

So, my questions are :

Is it harmful ( from a health point of view) to drink the wine throughout the process ( are there any times when it shouldnt be tasted)?

Is there anyway to stop the brewing process at a point where u are satisfied with the taste ??

larry

Keep in mind, that I've yet to bottle my first batch, but here goes...

To stop the fermentation, you can rack the wine, sulfite it and add potassium sorbate to prevent further fermenation. Another option is to ferment it dry, and back sweeten to the desired level (also adding potassium sorbate to prevent resumed fermentation).

There isn't really any point in fermentation that is harmful to you. However, tasting and playing with the wine can contaminate it and make it go straight to vinegar. (and its NOT good vinegar) Think of the process of sourdough making. The slurry you make by putting your yeast slurry on the window sill. If you add airborn bacteria to your fermentation process it will compete with the yeast and this bacteria's byproduct will not be alcohol!

There isn't really any point in fermentation that is harmful to you. However, tasting and playing with the wine can contaminate it and make it go straight to vinegar. (and its NOT good vinegar) Think of the process of sourdough making. The slurry you make by putting your yeast slurry on the window sill. If you add airborn bacteria to your fermentation process it will compete with the yeast and this bacteria's byproduct will not be alcohol!

Air is one of the main enemies of wine, but you do have to check it periodically to monitor the progress of the fermentation. As long as it's still fermenting, it should be giving off enough CO2 to provide some protection.

Air is one of the main enemies of wine, but you do have to check it periodically to monitor the progress of the fermentation. As long as it's still fermenting, it should be giving off enough CO2 to provide some protection.

The action of the one way valve will show whether fermentation is still going on. I brew.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom