Parm cheese cups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jankey

Assistant Cook
Think I might try to make cheese cups for Easter. Can other cheeses be used with parm cheese?:unsure:
Thanks

Hi, welcome to DC.

Other cheeses should work. Dryer cheeses like parm can be treated the same. Moister cheeses may need a longer cooking time to crisp up.

jankey,
along with the parm, I've use dry romano,Monterey Jack both work well.
kadesma

Is white extra sharp cheddar dry enough? He says he doesn't like parm, so ... need a substitute or addition to parm.

Is white extra sharp cheddar dry enough? He says he doesn't like parm, so ... need a substitute or addition to parm.
Parm is how this recipe started, but if i had to use something else I'd use dry Monterey Jack lovely taste and most likely to give you a crisp cup.Cheddar is not dry enough i believe.
kadesma

Thanks for all the help. Also, any suggestions as to what to include in the cups - if I can make them? thought about strips of chicken and ? what would you add?

I love this forum!!

I think the cheddar is worth a try. Just let it bake a little longer.

You could fill it with pulled pork, crab or lobster salad or chili.

I make them small and flat the put them over the top of individual salads. they go on last so that they don't get soggy.Make them larger, then take some goat cheese whipp it with chives or finly chopped green and white onion, mix well add salt and pepper and fill the crisps with a small part of the cheese.
kadesma:)

...oh my, i was feeling so out-of-the-loop until i just now googled parmesan cups to see what you all are discussing. What a delightful find! Thank you for teaching me something new and wonderful...again :)

...the presentation i found filled their crisp parmesan cup at the last minute with spinich salad topped with orange-zest dressing...and lastly topped with 2 red grapes, a pinch of shredded carrot and one small orange slice section...it was so colorful and pretty

...the chef said that next time he wants to fill the parmesan cup with twice-baked potato
...and, moodybluefoodie, i loved your suggestion too...yum

:chef:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will let you know if I make them and the condition of the diners!!

Well, we've recovered sufficiently to discuss the cheese cups!
I made one with parm regi which turned out great - one with extra sharp cheddar and two with a mixture of both cheeses...these 3 were all soft and oily - they tasted great, but didn't hold up to the small amount of slivered chicken & scallion filling.
So now we know. Thanks for all the help.
Jan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom