Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cakes & Cupcakes (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/)
-   -   Cheesecake Options - Frank you out there? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/cheesecake-options-frank-you-out-there-63898.html)

Alix 04-03-2010 05:07 PM

Cheesecake Options - Frank you out there?

I just read through my Fine Cooking magazine and drooled all over the cheesecake section. OK, it has several sections of what to add to the basic recipe and I am just considering my options.

Optional section 1 talks about subbing out one of the 8oz blocks of cream cheese with stuff like chocolate, dulce de leche, fruit puree, mascarpone etc.

Optional section 2 talks about flavorings like citrus zest, instant coffee, peanut butter or liqueurs.

Then there is a spice section, and a topping section (ganache, caramel and fruit) and a garnish section.

I'm overwhelmed. I'm leaning toward caramel and chocolate combos, or staying simple with a classic cheesecake and offering optional toppings.

Should I go with a caramel cheesecake and a chocolate ganache topping or a chocolate cheesecake with caramel topping? Classic cheesecake would have fresh strawberries and a strawberry puree to be topping, or the chocolate ganache, or blueberries that I've cooked up.

Help? Ideas?

babetoo 04-03-2010 07:29 PM

i am for the classic cheesecake. simple and clean. all the other stuff is just window dressing and is just to much.

Janet H 04-03-2010 07:35 PM

My mom used to make one with a swirl of orange flavored filling though the regular.... it had orange zest and extra vanilla and tasted a lot like an Orange Julius :)

Alix 04-03-2010 07:39 PM

Thanks ladies. 1 vote classic, one vote orange julius.

Janet, the orange julius one...was it a light cheesecake or a NY style?

Janet H 04-03-2010 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hers was somewhere in the middle. It had two "layers" The bottom was fairly traditional NY style.. the upper layer was about 30 percent of the total height of the cake and was lighter/tangier sort of, I think it had sour cream in it?

She usually used a graham cracker crust but only on the bottom - never the sides. Sometimes she used those nabisco chocolate wafers to make crust instead. Sorry I can;t be more specific - I don't have the recipe - only the memory of eating it... it was my fave. She made other flavors of cheese cake as well but this one was outstanding.

I do remember that the swirl was the same recipe as the base ((plus the flavor enhancements). She would pour it onto both layers and then drag a teaspoon through the swirl to distribute - sort of the way you make a marble cake swirl.

Alix 04-03-2010 08:14 PM

Any idea how she made the orange stuff? Orange syrup somehow?

My mom used to make this orange fluff pie thing with orange juice and marshmallows.

FrankZ 04-03-2010 08:25 PM

My tastes for cheese cake are pretty simple. A nice basic cheese cake (I prefer cherry) with some sort of fruit or a chocolate cheese cake are just fine with me.

Janet H 04-03-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alix (Post 887992)
Any idea how she made the orange stuff? Orange syrup somehow?

My mom used to make this orange fluff pie thing with orange juice and marshmallows.

I never saw a marshmallow in her kitchen - ever... if I had to GUESS....

I'd say she took some of the basic recipe and added ground orange zest, orange extract, vanilla and maybe some nutmeg. Since hers (just the swirl) was also noticeably orange colored, I bet there was a drop of orange food color as well.

Alix 04-03-2010 08:31 PM

Another vote for classic.

OK, I think I'm going for classic, but will have several options for toppings.

How about:

Cherry
Strawberry
Blueberry
Chocolate ganache
Caramel

Alix 04-03-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet H (Post 887996)
I never saw a marshmallow in her kitchen - ever... if I had to GUESS....

I'd say she took some of the basic recipe and added ground orange zest, orange extract, vanilla and maybe some nutmeg. Since hers (just the swirl) was also noticeably orange colored, I bet there was a drop of orange food color as well.

I'm going to experiment with this one the next time. I think I'll do orange zest and some orange syrup and see what comes up. Wanna come be a taste tester?