What is my alternative to balsamic vinegar when making a pomodoro sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookLikeJulia

Senior Cook
I would really want to make some shrimp pomodoro pasta..... is there any alternative ingredient to balsamic vinegar when making the pomodoro sauce?

Here is the recipe for the sauce:

diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
Basil 1 leaf
olive oil 1tsp-1tbsp (your choice)
balsamic vinegar 1 tsp-1tbsp (your choice)
garlic 2 cloves
shallots 1 tbsp

Any suggestions?

Blech! I'm not a fan of balsamic vinegar at all so I would use just about anything else in its place.

Try red wine vinegar in that particular recipe. I think it will perk it up nicely for you.

I do like Balsamic, but not on everything, and I think not in that dish. I have a "thing" for seafood with Sherry vinegar, so I might sub that one. Red wine vinegar is a good choice, too.

FWIW, Heinz makes one of the best at a very reasonable price. (it's easy to find in the supermarket, too!)

How about adding some pickle juice? You could use juice from some bread and butter pickles for a load of flavor and some sweet and a little sour.

If you ever see it (look in specialty and gourmet shops) pick up a bottle of Spectrum Naturals brand Organic Balsamic Vinegar. It'll change your ideas of what to use a balsamic vinegar for. It is sweet & syrupy, without being cloyingly so. It is not the $90 per bottle stuff, but is made from barrel-aged balsamicvinegar mixed with concentrated grape must, and costs about $20 per bottle. It is a complex and wonderful flavor. I've been nursing this bottle for a year or better. I use it sparingly. It's special.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Just leave it out. Balsamic vinegar is not a critical component of tomato sauce.
I was thinking about that too, but just thought that it might taste a little different since the recipe has the balsamic vinegar.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I don't know which ones to try out though :LOL:

I'll probably try the Sherry vinegar just like what ChefJune said...is this good for seafoods?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom