Best recipe for burgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabagoo

Cook
I remember once ordering a burger at a golf club and it had the most amazing flavour. It wasn;t what was mixed with the beef after years of experimenting. I now am convinced it must have has 2 meats combined....possibly some pork. It was so good you did not need condiments.

Since then I have found with beef burgers the less you put in the better they are. We arenow down to adding simply some garlic a little worscester and pepper.

What have you guys found to be a good tasting burger and if you do mix 2 meats, which have you tried?

I do an 80-20, and i'm a purist, nothing but kosher salt and freshly ground pepper on both sides... SO GOOD... :):)

I'm not sure what it was made from. But I gotta think it was 85/15 ground sirloin. It was served medium rare on a fresh kaiser roll and tasted like I was eating a well prepared steak. The flavor was intensely beef, grass or corn fed. The meat was very juicy, seasoned lightly with salt and grilled over flame. This came from a little sit-down restaurant, very informal, with freshly cut and made french fries, all in Olympia Wa. I haven't had a burger before or since that has been as good, or memorable. Though my best burgers are done over charcoal, with 80/20 ground chuck, seasoned with S & P, cooked with the lid closed on my Webber Kettle.

Wish I could duplicate that restaurant burger.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm not sure what it was made from. But I gotta think it was 85/15 ground sirloin. It was served medium rare on a fresh kaiser roll and tasted like I was eating a well prepared steak. The flavor was intensely beef, grass or corn fed. The meat was very juicy, seasoned lightly with salt and grilled over flame. This came from a little sit-down restaurant, very informal, with freshly cut and made french fries, all in Olympia Wa. I haven't had a burger before or since that has been as good, or memorable. Though my best burgers are done over charcoal, with 80/20 ground chuck, seasoned with S & P, cooked with the lid closed on my Webber Kettle.

Wish I could duplicate that restaurant burger.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Seriously why must you tease me at this late hour... :LOL:

Mix'n chuck and sirloin is good, but you may need to add more fat, pork fat.

We are the same, ground chuck 80/20, k.salt(only salt I buy) and a mix of course and fine ground blk pepper. I usually add just a bit of worchest to wet the meat before adding the salt/pepper. Both sides, too.

Lump charcoal or do them on a smoker. They don't dry out, may take 1/2 hr, but ya get a nice little smoke flavor. But, I really like use'n the smoker for most everything. Once in a while pull out the weber OTSilver, to get my fire fix.:mrgreen:

Could have been all in the beef. Some taste better than others, happens to us anyway. NO, don't blame me for bad burgers, they are always good.:ermm::angel:;):mrgreen:

Keep practice'n, that is the fun part.

Two tablespoons of slightly warm bacon grease drizzled over each pound of 80/20 ground chuck and then hand mixed with a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

The bun must be grilled face down until toasted and the top of the top bun just lightly brushed with melted butter in order to give it a shiny appearance.

I've been trying all kind of different mixtures til I get the "perfect" burger. So far the best was equal parts brisket, sirloin and chuck short ribs ground fresh and grilled or griddled med-rare with only S&P for seasoning

I like to use 97 / 7 ground round. I add light olive oil to replace the missing fat (not extra virgin because the flavor is too strong) soy sauce, and just a small amount of bread crumbs. The oil adds juciness, the soy adds salt and depth, the bread crumbs add tenderness.

Some days, we're in the mood for a truly greasy, drippy burger so I just add more olive oil.

Guilt free (kind of) and delicious.

did you ever have a lamb and beef burger? about a 70/30 ratio does the trick, respectively. it's especially good for people who kinda like lamb, but not when it's too gamey.

my second fave is ground bison, third would be 85% ground chuck. occasionally, i'll douse my burgers with maggi sauce instead of just salt. i know it's msg, but i'm not sensitive to it so it adds flavour.

and lately, we've become addicted to boursin cheese on top. mmmmmm, boursin burgers.

the only way i'll eat a turkey burger is if you add breadcrumbs, milk, grated locatelli, savory, parsley, and ketchup. that's pretty much my turkey meatball recipe, so it doesn't seem right to call it a burger.

Lamb sounds good. It reminds me of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. If you want to see some interesting burgers watch the show or check it out on you tube.

I think it was Joes Gizzard City where Guy made a hamburger then deep fried the whole thing, bun, tomato, everything. Said it was real good and I think they added it to the menu called the DDD(triple D)

The most important recipe in a hamburger is the quality of the ground beef. The quality varies from vendor to vendor. A good supplier is one that consistently supplies ground beef that is satisfactory to you. It pays to shop around untill you find one. We patronized a nearby butcher for 5 or 6 years and were quite satisfied despite their somewhat higher price. However early last year the staffing and possibly the ownership changed and the quality (taste, texture and greasiness) but not price their ground beef deteriorated. After 3 or 4 such happenings over a period of 6 months we switched to another vendor.
Years back while working in a commissary I used to operate a hamburger forming machine. The meat fed through this machine came in 50 lb boxes containing two 25 lb bags. The aroma from bag to bag of this meat was far from consistent.

I have always added garlic salt & pepper until I saw once on TV a chef added lil water to his hamburg. salt & pepper and that was it. . I tried it his way and it was the juicy burger and tasty. only make it that way now.

I love to make 2 thin patties then on one in the middle put either some blu cheese, or salsa, or mushrooms, or a slice of tomato , or cheese, then put the other pattie on top and seal the edges. grill it or pan fry --- delious.

Fresh ground chuck....S&P.....Charcoal Grill.

Exactly! 85% ground chuck pressed to a relatively thin/large diameter disc (it will contract a bit to bun-diameter and thicken - I hate the thumb in the middle technique). Then cooked over charcoal/wood to medium-well - just a touch of pink. A buttered Kaiser roll that is grilled to crispiness.

Then condiments as one chooses.

been using ground chevon for hamburgers for about 33 years, they make excellent tasting burgers....usually only add s&p and diced onion and garlic, and olive oil, must add oil because the meat is so lean

did you ever have a lamb and beef burger? about a 70/30 ratio does the trick, respectively. it's especially good for people who kinda like lamb, but not when it's too gamey.

Lamb? Where do you get ground lamb? Do you have to grind it yourself?

Our market carries ground lamb in 1 pound tubs prepackaged from the processor. They store sticks a price tag on it and puts it out for sale.

You can always grab a pack of lamb stew meat and ask for it to be ground for you.

I do a 75/25 mix of beef and pork occationally. It depends on what I am in the mood for. Lately I have been making chicken burgers which are 75% ground chicken breast and 25% veggies. They are good but they aren't truly a burger.

OK, so here is me admitting that I'm a lazy burger girl. I go to the store and I buy the big angus burgers preshaped and frozen and I slap them on the barbie.

I used to make my own burgers and freeze them. Taking much care and attention to seasoning them beautifully and making sure they were "just right". My youngest daughter informed me they were not as good as the burgers from her friends house. I asked...frozen burgers. We've been doing the frozen ones ever since.

Having said that though, I am starting to feel inspired in the kitchen again and the idea of ground lamb sparked my interest. I think I'll see if I can get some and give it a go. Wish me luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom