Ginger & Lemon Grass Chicken With Rice Vermicelli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki

Senior Cook
Okay, this one seems like a long recipe, but it's really not!!!! From start to finish, it took me about 15-20 minutes to make!
I wanted to try something new (vermicelli, it's sooo good!),and had a craving for something with a bit of an Asian flare to it. :)

Ginger & Lemon Grass Chicken With Rice Vermicelli
Ingredients:
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 1 stalk of lemon grass, finely diced {when purchasing lemon grass, look for stalks that have no bruising/brown spots. Look for as much green colour as possible near the tops of the stalks, and pale yellow near the bottom. You also want them to be firm. To prepare lemon grass, you need to remove the outer “woody” layer prior to using. Cut off the bottom 2 inches of the stalk, and the top inch. Finely slice, and chop, the remaining stalk.}
  • 1 tsp freshly grated ginger {when using fresh ginger, simply break off the amount that you will need, then wrap the rest in a paper towel and place it in a sealed plastic bag in your fridge. You can peel the ginger with a vegetable peeler, but I find that it’s easier to just use a knife. Use the finest holes on a cheese grater to grate the ginger,and you’re good to go!}
  • 2 green onions, finely diced
  • 1 medium orange bell pepper
  • 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
  • dash chili pepper
  • 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup rice vermicelli
Method:
  • In a deep frying pan/wok over medium heat, heat the 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil for about 2 minutes.
  • Cut the chicken into chunks, and add to the pan.
  • Add the ginger and lemon grass once the chicken starts to turn from raw to white.
  • While the chicken is cooking: In a pot, boil water.
  • Once the water has been brought to a boil, add the 1/2 cup rice vermicelli.
  • This is important! Only cook the vermicelli in the boiling water for 1 minute! Any longer, and it will become a soggy mess.
  • Remove the pot from the heat, and drain immediately. Rinse the vermicelli with water to prevent sticking, and set aside.
  • Check that the chicken no longer has any raw parts inside of it.
  • Once it is cooked through, add the green onions, orange bell pepper, and dash of chili pepper.
  • Cook until the chicken starts to brown.
  • Add the 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil and soy sauce. Stir to coat chicken and bell pepper evenly.
  • Add the vermicelli to the chicken, and stir a couple of times to coat the vermicelli with the juices in the pan. After about 15 seconds, remove the pan from heat.
  • Serve immediately, and enjoy! :chef:

That sounds a good recipe to try... I hope you took some photos for us to see... :)

Thanks! It was so tasty! :)
I did take photos, :ermm: but the dish had this pale yellow/brown look to it hahahhhaa....
I'll post it anyway :)

Here's the picture!

12.jpg

Wow that looks delicious!!! I wonder if this will taste different if I don't put ginger in it. I don't really like ginger. But of course if they are essential, I would include them..

Wow that looks delicious!!! I wonder if this will taste different if I don't put ginger in it. I don't really like ginger. But of course if they are essential, I would include them..

Hmm... I wouldn't say it's essential, but it compliments the dish really well... But for sure, try it without if you don't like ginger! :) I put so little in it that I couldn't really notice that I had added any ginger at all to be honest, I think that the soy sauce covered the ginger flavour a bit...

That looks, and sounds really good.....gonna try it.
I really like ginger, so if you could hardly tell it was there, think I'll add some more.
Thanks for the recipe!
P.S. as far as peeling ginger, I use a teaspoon to scrape it....works like a charm!

Last edited:
That looks, and sounds really good.....gonna try it.
I really like ginger, so if you could hardly tell it was there, think I'll add some more.
Thanks for the recipe!
P.S. as far as peeling ginger, I use a teaspoon to scrape it....works like a charm!
Thanks! :) It's an interesting taste, something I've made a couple of times now!
Definitely do add more if you like to have the taste stand out more! Hmmm... Good idea on the teaspoon to scrape it... I'll do that next time! :)

@nikki: It looks really good! :D I will absolutely try that meal! :) The orange bell pepper made it look more delicious..

Back
Top Bottom