Head-On Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
going to stop by my local asian market today (that place is like disney land for cooks!)....they usually have a great deal on jumbo, head on shrimp.....do i NEED to de-vein them or can i skip that? i know its poop, which im sure totally grosses alot of people out, but ill prob be the only one eating them and i dont care....assuming its just a "gross" factor, ill leave it

also, anyone got a good recipe? i plan on grilling them, maybe with some old bay....last time i was at the store, they had free samples of them (now THATS a sample - head sucking goodness) and there were delish....simply steamed, and i couldnt detect any specific seasoning or marinate....perhaps there was none?

btw, that place had tons of great samples....i left full...if anyone has an H&Y near them, check it out

All taken care of. ;)

Sorry I can't help with your shrimp question as easily. I've never worked with head-on shrimp.

Last edited:
I never consider it a "requirement" to devein shrimp except for presentation purposes. And with wonderful large head-on shrimp - which have been showing up frequently in the markets around here this past year - it's definitely not required since the best way to cook them is to simply leave them whole - head & shell on. Leaving on the head & shell keeps them from drying out during cooking - particularly grilling, broiling, cast-iron-pan sauteeing, etc.

My favorite way to enjoy them is via a method adapted from one used by Bobby Flay - Make a blender marinade of some extra-virgin olive oil (1/4-1/2 cup), 3-4 chopped hot chili peppers, fresh chopped thyme & parsley to taste (3-4 tablespoons), & lots of peeled roughly chopped garlic (up to a whole head). Simply rinse shrimp off, leaving head & shells on, & place in a bowl or ziplock bag with marinade. Marinate for 30-40 minutes. Grill over high heat for approx. 3 minutes per side, depending on size of shrimp (test one for doneness), & enjoy. Sometimes I'll serve these with some lime-juice-spiked melted butter on the side.

Back
Top Bottom