Dinner, Saturday, May 1st

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
OK, I'm now officially insane. My neighbor wanted to throw a small dinner party. There will be only 5 or 6 of us. Her husband just became a vegetarian, her daughter is a vegan, her soon-to-be son-in-law is in this not cooking the food movement (don't ask me, that escapes me), and she said she has a taste for meat. What she wanted to do was a roast chicken, but the recipe she showed me was incredibly complicated. She wanted me to make rice. I HATE cooking rice, especially for more than just the two of us. Well, long to short, I told her I'd roast the damned chicken, as long as I don't have to cook rice. So, I'm roasting a chicken for a party at my neighbor's house (but not making the rice!).

Actually I understand your PoV. Making rice for me is hit or miss when I make more than enough for 2. Roasting a chicken is much easier.

Through trial and error I have found that for my DH and I, I measure a 1/2 C. for him and 1/4 C. for me (that's before cooking of course). I use to have the same problem of making way too much.

I am making a chicken pot pie for dinner tonight, maybe some biscuits to sop up the gravy.

Last edited:
Bought a pound of dry sea scallops on sale for $9.99. Gonna pan sear them and top them off with a sauce made with little butter and white wine. Fresh asparagus for a side.

We were going to go out tonight, but I've been under the weather.

I'm making Mark a pot pie, using leftover roast and vegies. I am craving a cuban sandwich.

Grilled pork chops potatoes and milk gravy,sliced zucchini,cooked with sauteed onion,garlic,parsley,marjoram, when almost done add two or three beaten eggs and several hands full of grated fresh parm. Spinach salad. And were done. Have to start cooking for tomorrow.
kadesma:)

We had grilled pork chops here too, but with baked bean and salad.

Boy am I grateful for the crock-pot.

We spent a large part of the day at Glenn's mom's house (next door) celebrating her birthday, along with all his children (their spouses) and all the grandchildren.

Dinner tonight was black bean soup with huge, fat ham hocks, toasted French bread, iced tea and birthday cake (surprise).

I made the soup using a pound of black beans (soaked), the leftover broth from the corned beef and cabbage from St. Patrick's Day, chopped red bell peppers, chopped jalapeno peppers, minced garlic, chopped onions, oregano, thyme, and salt and freshly ground black pepper. Didn't add too much salt because I expected the smoked ham hocks to be a bit salty (they were) and let the whole mess cook in the crock-pot all day long.

Turned out great and I didn't have to do any work to get dinner prepared and it was a good thing because one of Glenn's daughters, her husband and her children came back to our house for an impromptu Derby party/viewing.

It was a great day and we still ate quite well. There's even plenty left for another time and I think that will make its way into the freezer.

Well, after a day spent puttering around the house & pretty much just watching all the Kentucky Derby hoopla (& the race, of course) on tv, hubby popped out & picked up our traditional Derby Day dinner - KFC!!! Lol!! A mix of grilled, original recipe, & extra-crispy chicken, along with biscuits, corn, mashed potatoes & gravy. Was fun & hit the spot.

We had buffalo chicken fingers delivered. They seemed hotter than usual, not that I minded. :)

Well, after a day spent puttering around the house & pretty much just watching all the Kentucky Derby hoopla (& the race, of course) on tv, hubby popped out & picked up our traditional Derby Day dinner - KFC!!! Lol!! A mix of grilled, original recipe, & extra-crispy chicken, along with biscuits, corn, mashed potatoes & gravy. Was fun & hit the spot.

What!? No mint Juleps?

having a chicken breast cooked on my mini george forman grill. i can pretend it is grilled outside. pineapple fried rice and brocc. maybe a corn blueberry muffin. baked them earlier. changed a recipe done from scratch i found on the splenda network. used a mix and frozen blueberries. i tried one, they were ok. may do from scratch next time.

Roasted grape tomatoes with garlic on a baguette smeared with soft goat cheese, and a large salad.

Merstar, that sounds so good, and I happen to have all the ingredients in the kitchen. How do you roast the tomatoes? This may be lunch today.

Merstar, that sounds so good, and I happen to have all the ingredients in the kitchen. How do you roast the tomatoes? This may be lunch today.
Doesn't that meal sound good?!:chef:

if it was me, I would toss the tomatoes in a little olive oil, garlic powder, italian seasoning and salt-n-pepper. The mixture would get put on a foil-lined (that's just saves time in clean-up) sheet pan and in the oven @ 425 for about 20 minutes. It would be better with fresh, minced garlic and chopped, fresh basil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom