Can I "Save" greasy rice ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mako

Assistant Cook
Yesterday I tried making a cuban rice and chicken dish ... in a slow cooker ... using a brown rice, which I understand is a bit "chewier," so it should hold up to slow cooking better. After sauteing the chicken and onions in olive oil, I added the rice, water, chicken bouillon, spices ... but perhaps between too much olive oil and the fat in the thigh pieces (I used thighs with skin and breasts with no skin) ... the rice came out "greasy."

I DID accidentally overcook the dish ... not realizing I had the slow cooker on High instead of Automatic or low. It cooked for about four hours on high, and was actually boiling when I went back into the kitchen. I don't think I had ever seen the slow cooker boiling!

Is there anyway to "cut" the greasiness after the fact. :(

This idea may not be what you want, but you can add quite a few eggs, cheese, a little broth and have a nice casserole. I make a rice, zucchini, cheese, left over rice casserole from time to time. For a skillet full I use 5 eggs + 2 yolks and add a little broth and herbs. Bake at 325 until barely set. Let cool and check the middle for doneness. You can always pop it back into the oven if you think it is undercooked.

I've heard from friends that "spanish" dishes often have a LOT of olive oil in them. But I've had rice and chicken at a Cuban restaurant and the rice was not heavy and oily.

Yah, the chicken is still good ... THAT I can use in a lot of different ways! :)

I forgot to add that I've never liked the way rice - any rice - comes out via a slow cooker. Most crockpot dishes end up with more liquid than anyone can really accurately pinpoint, & that can wreak havoc with rice. And like you discovered, the combo of oil + chicken fat + meat juices can easily = greasy rice.

The probable reason why the restaurant rice wasn't greasy is because they don't make it in a slow cooker.

Yah ... not sure WHY I used the slow cooker ... I guess just because I wanted to start it and forget it for tomorrows dinner ... but accidentally had it on HIGH. Chicken and Rice is so easy to make on top of the stove or oven. Learned something!

I hate rice in a slow cooker it always is dry to me. As far as having grease in it all rice should but not to much maybe a few tablespoons.

Back
Top Bottom