Paging the sommelier to the front desk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
So here is the challenge. I am hosting a dinner party for 4 couples (and one 9th wheel) and all the husbands are foodies. We came up with a menu and we are all making 2 thinks and serving it in 4 courses. We are all also supposed to also bring a bottle of wine to pair with one of the courses. I am supposed to pair with the 2nd course which is a cream of potato leek soup that I am making. I am thinking a strong white. I am looking for suggestions of types of wine more so then specific lables. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. The full menu is below.
4 Courses:
1. Sweet Onion Crustini ) paired with a rose`
2. Cream of Potato Leek paired with a white
3. Poached Salmon with cream sauce
Lasagna
Spinach Strawberry Salad
Avocado Salad
Pasta Salad
Potato Grattan
Paired with red wine
Corn Bread
Herb Butter
4. Cookie dough cheesecake and white chocolate cheesecake paired with a sparkling wine.

A favorite with desserts is Prosecco
the potato soup for me I like a pinno or light slightly sweet red
for lasagna I'd want a robust red like Pino noire, or even Merlot
I'm not a wine person don't have the palate but know what I like
excuse the spelling please
kadesma:ohmy:

My choice would be a Sauvignon Blanc to go with the Cream of Potato Leek Soup. Sounds like so much fun and the dishes sound wonderful!

Okay, here's the Sommelier's suggestions: (in bold italics) :D
1. Sweet Onion Crustini ) Sparkling wine perhaps a Spanish Cava`
2. Cream of Potato Leek same as the CrOstini
3. Poached Salmon with cream sauce Chardonnay from either Russian River or Macon Villages
Lasagna
Spinach Strawberry Salad
Avocado Salad
Pasta Salad
Potato Grattan (that's GRATIN)
Barbera d'Asti is a medium bodied, medium priced Italian red that would go well with all the above.
Corn Bread
Herb Butter
4. Cookie dough cheesecake and white chocolate cheesecake
There are only a few sparkling wines that would be sweet enough to go with most cheesecakes. Moet & Chandon's Nectar Imperial is one, and some Asti Spumante's would work. I mostly prefer dessert wines served AS dessert, or after, rather than with the dessert.

I would serve a great coffee with the cheesecake, and some Port afterwards. ;)

Oh yum. No suggestions here, the menu made my mouth water and then June's suggestions topped me off and its only 920am here!! EEK!

My choice would be a Sauvignon Blanc to go with the Cream of Potato Leek Soup. Sounds like so much fun and the dishes sound wonderful!
I'm with you on the Sav Blanc. Kim Crawford is an inexpensive white widely available and would work well. Costco sells at the best price I have found.

I know that you are specifying no brands, but IMO that is just as important as type

I'm with you on the Sav Blanc. Kim Crawford is an inexpensive white widely available and would work well. Costco sells at the best price I have found.

I know that you are specifying no brands, but IMO that is just as important as type

I hear you bigjim, but i need to stick to kosher brands.

I didn't get the kosher part. That is a field of which I have no knowledge.
The menu and the idea seem interesting. We had a dinner club in the neighborhood for a while, and did themed dinners. I think may try to get a group together myself.

Dan: Fortant de France makes a tasty line of Kosher wines that is pretty widely available -- and affordable. Take care, because not all their wines are Kosher.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom