Slow Roasted Garlic-Lemon Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
Another recipe I found that I do not use any more, but it was a favorite.

SLOW ROASTED GARLIC AND LEMON CHICKEN

1 chicken (about 3-1/2 to 4 lbs) cut into 10 pieces
1 head garlic, separated into unpeeled cloves
2 lemons cut into chunky eighths
small handfull of fresh thyme
3 Tbs olive oil
10 Tbs dry white wine
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 300. Put chicken pieces into a roasting pan and add the whole garlic cloves, lemon chunks, and the thyme just roughly pulled off the stalks leaving some intact for strewing over later. Add the oil, and using your hands mix everything together and then spread mixture out making sure chicken pieces are skin side up. Sprinkle over the white wine and grind on some pepper. Cover tightly with foil and add to oven at the low heat for 2 hours.

Sounds delish!

I don't have any fresh Thyme at home.. what would you use in place of that?
(out of dried too)....

pdswife1 said:
Sounds delish!

(out of dried too)....

I would probably use rosemary or sage. Some people use terragon but I do not like anise so I do not, but you may like it.

norgeskog said:
pdswife1 said:
Sounds delish!

(out of dried too)....

I would probably use rosemary or sage. Some people use terragon but I do not like anise so I do not, but you may like it.

Rosemary it is! I have a whole plant of that. Thanks! :D

pdswife1 said:
norgeskog said:
pdswife1 said:
Sounds delish!

(out of dried too)....

Rosemary it is! I have a whole plant of that. Thanks! :D

I too have a rosemary plant, one of my faves. After I posted the above, I remembered that dill would work as well.

This is my very favorite old time, use it again and again, and recommend it to beginners and budgeters, recipe -- more or less. I just stuff all the ingredients into the cavity of the chicken and bake (425 for 20 min, 350 until done). The wine goes in the pan when you finish. I've got a great herb garden (and pretty much always have) and use different herbs or none at all depending on the garden at the time. A branch of sage and one of thyme is my favorite combo, but if you don't have either, the lemon and garlic will speak for themselves and still be delish. If you combine this with couscous and/or taboule, and a cuke salad made with yogurt, it is a very exotic, Moroccan feeling meal, but with mashed or baked potatoes it simply tastes like a great take on an American classic. I tried to sub oranges for lemons last night (what was at hand) and it was still good, but oranges don't give off near the same amount of flavor (hey, it was worth a try, I wasn't about to face the ice out there to go buy lemons!!).

Claire said:
This is my very favorite old time, use it again and again, and recommend it to beginners and budgeters, recipe -- more or less. I just stuff all the ingredients into the cavity of the chicken and bake (425 for 20 min, 350 until done). The wine goes in the pan when you finish. I've got a great herb garden (and pretty much always have) and use different herbs or none at all depending on the garden at the time. A branch of sage and one of thyme is my favorite combo, but if you don't have either, the lemon and garlic will speak for themselves and still be delish. If you combine this with couscous and/or taboule, and a cuke salad made with yogurt, it is a very exotic, Moroccan feeling meal, but with mashed or baked potatoes it simply tastes like a great take on an American classic. I tried to sub oranges for lemons last night (what was at hand) and it was still good, but oranges don't give off near the same amount of flavor (hey, it was worth a try, I wasn't about to face the ice out there to go buy lemons!!).

You sound like an excellent cook, Claire.

Back
Top Bottom