Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cakes & Cupcakes (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/)
-   -   Strawberry Red (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/strawberry-red-64610.html)

Andy M. 05-16-2010 04:57 PM

Strawberry Red

SO wants to make a cake to look like a strawberry. Bright red!

I'm not sure you can get that deep dark red with food coloring from the grocery store. What do I do?

Can she just dump a ton of red food coloring into the frosting or should we be buying something else?

Kathleen 05-16-2010 05:22 PM

Red Cake

Andy, when making red velvet cake, which is pretty red, we add like 2 ounces of red food coloring. I think that would work regardless of the flavor of cake. Then red food coloring in the icing.

Is the cake going to be flavored with strawberries?

~Kathleen

Andy M. 05-16-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathleenA (Post 896558)
Andy, when making red velvet cake, which is pretty red, we add like 2 ounces of red food coloring. I think that would work regardless of the flavor of cake. Then red food coloring in the icing.

Is the cake going to be flavored with strawberries?

~Kathleen

We're only concerned with coloring the frosting. The cake will be a yellow cake.

The cake will not be flavored with strawberries but there will be strawberries between the layers.

jabbur 05-16-2010 05:34 PM

I think there's a thing called color paste that you can get in the stores that sell cake decorating tools. It's used to make more vibrant colors. I know my sister has used that but I've never tried it myself. Often the stuff in the little bottles in the grocery stores won't get you the really vibrant reds.

Kathleen 05-16-2010 05:39 PM

My sister uses the paste too for icing and also for candy that she makes. It's very red.

Mimizkitchen 05-16-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 896554)
SO wants to make a cake to look like a strawberry. Bright red!

I'm not sure you can get that deep dark red with food coloring from the grocery store. What do I do?

Can she just dump a ton of red food coloring into the frosting or should we be buying something else?

Andy, Wilton makes concentrated gel colors that work great I use them often for my frostings as well as red velvet cake... You can get them at Michaels, i'm assuming you have a Michaels in your neck of the woods...

Go slow with them as they are very intense, and a very little goes along way... What I usually do is keep some frosting seperate from what i'm coloring just in case I get carried away, then I can add the white frosting in and tone it down... Hope this helps.... :smile::smile::smile:

mollyanne 05-16-2010 07:07 PM

I wonder, to avoid too much red dye, if you could add Beet juice to the red dye to intensify it. Just a thought.

Mimizkitchen 05-16-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollyanne (Post 896613)
I wonder, to avoid too much red dye, if you could add Beet juice to the red dye to intensify it. Just a thought.

Mollyanne unlike the food coloring you buy from the supermarket (where you have to use 1-2 ounces just to get the right color for red velvet cake) the gel is used sparingly... I use a toothpick to add to frostings, and cake batters...

As for beets, IDK, hey heres an idea Google it google girl!!! :lol::lol::lol:

(just playing around girl, you know I love ya more than my luggage)

buckytom 05-17-2010 12:03 AM

mmmmm, beet cake. :sick:

lol, j/k mollyanne. beets are a great natural dye.

andy, are you going to make all of the little seed specks, like on a real strawberry?

Andy M. 05-17-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckytom (Post 896667)
...andy, are you going to make all of the little seed specks, like on a real strawberry?

Not a chance! I don't have the patience for that. SO is making this cake. I'm just the computer assistant.