Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Soups (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Black Bean Soup (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/black-bean-soup-6470.html)

norgeskog 01-10-2005 06:35 PM

Black Bean Soup

Love black beans, and BTW I posted a lentil soup recipe in the grain section, sorry :mrgreen: .

BLACK BEAN SOUP

2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 serrano chilli, seeded and minced (wimp here uses anaheim or pasilla)
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 tomatoe diced
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp oregano
1 can (15 oz) black beans
1/2 cup chicken stock or chicken bullion cube disolved in 1/2 cup
1 tbs chopped cilantro (optional, I use parsley)
juice of 1/2 lime
s/p to taste

In medium saucepan, saute garlic, onion, chili, corn and tomatoe until soft. Add chili powder, cumin, and oregano, black beans and chicken broth, fresh cilantro, lime juice, s&p and simmer 12 minutes. Put half in a food processor and pulse to almost puree, add back to rest of soup. Garnish with wedge of lime, cilantro or parsley sprig, and crunchy corn tortilla strips. A dollop of you know what is nice too. I have added cooked chicken to this as well and it was a full meal. To make vegetarian use vegetable broth or NO-chicken broth.

mudbug 01-11-2005 03:30 PM

here's another recipe, not as nice as norgeskog's, but quick and easy.

2 cans black bean soup (I use Progresso)
1 can Rotel

Heat, eat, and throw cans away.

norgeskog 01-11-2005 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudbug
here's another recipe, not as nice as norgeskog's, but quick and easy.

2 cans black bean soup (I use Progresso)
1 can Rotel

Heat, eat, and throw cans away.

That does sound good and easy, and I forgot what rotel was. feeling stupid :?

mudbug 01-12-2005 08:31 AM

Ro-tel is canned tomatoes with green chili and other spices. In my store it's on the top shelf, above the usual other varieties of canned tomato stuff.

norgeskog 01-12-2005 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudbug
Ro-tel is canned tomatoes with green chili and other spices. In my store it's on the top shelf, above the usual other varieties of canned tomato stuff.

Thanks, mudbug. I think I was told that before, but forgot about it cause I could not find it here.

kitchenelf 01-12-2005 03:37 PM

Bug - we must shop at the same place!!!! LOL And if the first 2 cana are gone I can't reach the third can unless I stand on the bottom shelf :oops:

If you still can't find it I'm sure we can give you a recipe - it's basically pico de gallo but with more of a liquid - which I feel can be somewhat duplicated with some tomato sauce, lime juice, a bit of vinegar, add some salt to begin the maceration process, - does that sound about right? (and plus all the other ingredients usually found in RoTel - green chilies, cilantro, tomatoes, onion, etc.)

mudbug 01-12-2005 03:51 PM

sounds about right, elf. I think I might use tomato juice rather than sauce, if at all, and be sure to add some cayenne or Tabasco. That stuff has a bite that chimes in perfectly with the black beans.

As for reaching the top shelf - that's what husbands and store managers are for!

kitchenelf 01-12-2005 04:00 PM

ahhhhh - tomato juice!!!!!!! perfect!!!! Yea, the bite - lots of fresh jalapeno maybe leave the ribs in (take the seeds out as they are just "seedy") - if you want a milder one take the ribs out too - or most of them anyway.

PA Baker 01-12-2005 04:38 PM

I've never seent Rot-tel up here, either. Would getting a can of diced tomatoes with jalapenos be about the same? It seems like every week there are new canned diced tomato flavors!