Le Creuset stoneware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
Hello,

I'm looking for dishes to make lasagna and brownies. I have been looking at the le creuset stoneware. I like the 9x9 for brownies but I'm not sure which one to get to make lasagna and other types of dishes.

I read some where that the oven needs to be cold in order to use these dishes is this true?

...I have been looking at the le creuset stoneware...I read some where that the oven needs to be cold in order to use these dishes is this true?
:huh:...huh? Cooking in a cold oven is an oxymoron. Maybe you read that these dishes retain their heat so you can remove them and they will continue to cook in their own heat. I did read that about them. It seems that would be a problem as your food might overcook then.

I bake lasagna in a microwave safe/oven safe glass dish that measures 10.5 X 14.75 by Anchor. I like to see the layers when serving. That's a fairly large lasagna. A 9X12 dish would be better for fewer people.

Hello,

I'm looking for dishes to make lasagna and brownies. I have been looking at the le creuset stoneware. I like the 9x9 for brownies but I'm not sure which one to get to make lasagna and other types of dishes.

I read some where that the oven needs to be cold in order to use these dishes is this true?

I'd say any size you think is appropriate for lasagna would be just fine. Le Creuset is awesome cookware and I have a number of pieces I've had for years.

It's great cookware but you need to understand, like mollyanne said, it does retain its heat better than most other cookware. Having said that, I would treat it as I treat glass when I bake. I usually reduce the oven temperature by about 25 degrees to allow for the super heat retention capability.

I think Juilo is talking about a non pre-heated oven, (cold oven) and yes it's true.
I had an expensive piece of Pampered Chef stoneware break in a pre-heated oven. It was full of a company casserole and I heard it crack across the room!!
:angry:
I asked Pampered Chef to replace it, and that's when I learned what I did wrong.

Sometimes an oven really needs to be pre-heated, and for that reason, I'd never recommend buying it. Stoneware is stoneware, no matter the brand.

Just wanted to add.....
When I do Lasagna for my husband and I, I use a Pyrex loaf pan.
I have a nice high Lasagna that way, and plenty of leftovers for the two of us. Getting the first piece out can be a little tricky, but it can be done with a flexable spatula. ok, Im done now. ;)

Thanks Everyone!

Kayelle's point about some recipes call for pre-heated oven reminded me about my pizza stone. :( I'm going to buy either pyrex or anchor glass ware instead.

Thanks Everyone!

Kayelle's point about some recipes call for pre-heated oven reminded me about my pizza stone. :( I'm going to buy either pyrex or anchor glass ware instead.

Yep, Julio, put that Pizza stone in a cold oven, and crank up the heat!!
Then slide the Pizza onto the hot stone.
You'll save yourself some $$ with oven proof glassware too.;)

I really like the le creuset stoneware. I was checking their website and it says that freezer to oven is a no no. I'm guessing that if the dish is at room temperature it can go into a pre-heated oven with no problem.

FREEZER TO OVEN USE: Do not place a frozen dish of food in a pre-heated oven. Place the frozen dish in a cold oven and set the temperature, allowing the dish and oven to heat together. Before serving always check that the center of the food is completely and uniformly hot.

Stoneware - Le Creuset

I really like the le creuset stoneware. I was checking their website and it says that freezer to oven is a no no. I'm guessing that if the dish is at room temperature it can go into a pre-heated oven with no problem.

Stoneware - Le Creuset

Frequently, a website will have a "Contact Us" option. Write them and ask if their stoneware can go from room temperature, filled with room temperature or warmer food, into a preheated oven.

My company casserole had been in the refrigerator over night. I had it sitting on the counter for about a half hr when I put it into the 350degree oven. I agree with Andy that you could check with the le creuset people before you purchase it, but I personally will never use any kind of stoneware in the oven again. There are too many other options.
My disaster wouldn't have been quite so bad if company wasn't expected.
Grrrr.

Early last month before I made the OP I was at target and bedbath and beyond and I was looking at the corningware 17 piece set for $59.99 I was close to getting it but later changed my mind. I do like the ramikens alot.

stoneware

I have different pieces for different uses.. Long rectangular for casseroles, square, oval, flat with no sides for pastries.. my fav is a 6 inch long 4 inch deep with a lid. I cook meat in this one, it makes its own juices and keeps the meat very moist. I have pieces of stoneware that are 15 years old and the only one that has broken was the one my husband dropped on ceramic tile. The thing is with the heated oven... you can't heat the stone then put cold food on it - it will crack also you can't put cold food on stoneware then put it in a hot oven.. the contrast is what causes the breakage. ANY stoneware will do that so when cooking frozen foods put them in/on the stoneware, then the oven, THEN turn the oven on.. the gradual heating instead of the blast of heat on cold will keep it from breaking.

I have different pieces for different uses.. Long rectangular for casseroles, square, oval, flat with no sides for pastries.. my fav is a 6 inch long 4 inch deep with a lid. I cook meat in this one, it makes its own juices and keeps the meat very moist. I have pieces of stoneware that are 15 years old and the only one that has broken was the one my husband dropped on ceramic tile. The thing is with the heated oven... you can't heat the stone then put cold food on it - it will crack also you can't put cold food on stoneware then put it in a hot oven.. the contrast is what causes the breakage. ANY stoneware will do that so when cooking frozen foods put them in/on the stoneware, then the oven, THEN turn the oven on.. the gradual heating instead of the blast of heat on cold will keep it from breaking.

Did you read this entire thread gourmetgamma? You confirmed my point.
I don't understand why someone looking for all purpose bakeware would invest in over priced Le Creuset stoneware, or any stoneware for that matter. All anyone needs is one disaster like I had to be convinced, when there is other bakeware that can be safely used in a preheated oven.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom