BigD's Garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigdaddy3k

Mr. Greenjeans
Moderator Emeritus
Amish Paste Tomatoes
Grape Tomatoes
Cherokee Purple Tomatoes
Polish Linguisa Tomatoes
Mortgage Lifter Tomatoes
Jalepeno Peppers
Cherry Peppers
Basil
Sage
Zuchini
Lemon Cucumbers
Pickling Cucumbers

Plowing the fields...
img_898077_0_a4c69e3953e8d5a073b7c1416c3b5b19.jpg

img_898077_1_8c66cdc2abf068968dc96cfcb1e87264.jpg

Here it is bare neked

img_898077_2_04a813f117f9095f757f58c72dce16cb.jpg

And here is is all done. The mulch is dark brown
img_898077_3_b879cb4684e8a02f292fcfa34bc06bcc.jpg

Nice plot there D, the dirt looked pretty decent also. My garden is about half that size, I've got a few tomatos, peppers, cukes, zuchs and brussel sprouts.

You rock BigD! That's a lot of work. It looks GRRREAT!! Aren't you clever to utilize that space so well. WTG! You're in good shape to be able to do that.

I just have container gardens with mostly herbs. It's a big deck though so I have Basil, Parsley, Sage, Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Terragon, Dill/Fennel, Basil, Chives, Mint, Lavender, Clematis, Basil, Roses, Salvia, Luna Hibiscus, Basil, Nasturtiums, Geraniums, Gerber Daisies, Begonias, Red Yarrow...
...did I mention BASIL? :wacko:...tons
But no tomatoes :(...snails won last year.

What's the plastic with the stakes in it for?
We're trying yet again for some produce. There are so many birds and critters here that every time we try, we usually lose in planting gardens. I haven't had a decent tomato since I left Ohio almost 20 years ago.:LOL:

Frank, YES! Every winter I grow to hate tomatoes and every summer I grow them and fall in love all over again. Store bought tomatoes should be banished from the Earth!

John, We live about 1/2 mile from a river so we have very good dirt/clay.

Molly, It is a great area! Its the south side of our house and there is no easy access to it from any door so it sort of sat there until we started gardening. BASIL!! My sister (food baby) has grown basil for about 6 years and just throws it away!!! She had no idea what pesto was!!!!

chefK, It's not plastic, it's weed stop fabric and we get big spring storms that blow all of it around the neighborhood so this year we staked it down.

Mimi, Every shipment I have sent to you has been waylaid by pirates. Sadly, the waters between us are too trecherous.

Looks great BigD..We live on 8 acres but the garden is behind the house...After all these years the gophers who love the pasture now love my tomatoes and made off with two. Sooo we got something that lets of sound and drives them off. So we hav 2 varieies of cantaloups, zucchini, cubanelle peppers, bells red ones, my herb garden, parsley,sage,2 kinds of oregano,chives.carrots.2kinds of radish,lettuce, sweet white onions, two cloth containers with potatoespeach trees,nectarine,tangering,orange, two apple trees, gala and fujii. I just started some cucumbers. Life is good.
kades:)

Looks great BigD..We live on 8 acres but the garden is behind the house...After all these years the gophers who love the pasture now love my tomatoes and made off with two. Sooo we got something that lets of sound and drives them off. So we hav 2 varieies of cantaloups, zucchini, cubanelle peppers, bells red ones, my herb garden, parsley,sage,2 kinds of oregano,chives.carrots.2kinds of radish,lettuce, sweet white onions, two cloth containers with potatoespeach trees,nectarine,tangering,orange, two apple trees, gala and fujii. I just started some cucumbers. Life is good.
kades:)
I would be interested to know what you have that gives off sound. Mocking Birds love to eat tomatoes. They peck holes in them and eat the seeds out.

I would be interested to know what you have that gives off sound. Mocking Birds love to eat tomatoes. They peck holes in them and eat the seeds out.
I'll ask my husband the name. I know you drive it into the ground and it emits a beep every so often, It's best to use two spaced so far apart. I'll get as much info as I can when DH comes home from work.
kadesma

Mimi, Every shipment I have sent to you has been waylaid by pirates. Sadly, the waters between us are too trecherous.
[/QUOTE]

BigDaddy just got off a ship to shore call with the "pirates" and they said you traded my shipment for wenches, booze, and gold... Just saying...:whistling:whistling:whistling

Sadly, if I did trade for them it would have been under the watchful eye of Mrs BigD.

Thank you so much.
Hi ChefKathleen, my dh bought his gopher thing at Harbor Freight, I think Home Depot or even a nurserie would have them. He is sleeping right now and I don't want to disturb him as he is in a lot of pain with a back problem. But any of these places will know what you want when you tell them this thing is metal and emits a beep, I don't know is it will frighten birds, that usually takes a fake Owl or Snake hooked into a mesh cover to scare birds off.
kadesma

Thanks Kadesma, I'll look into it. With all the dry weather I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for my garden as it is. I don't need birds helping me.

Now more Pics!

Here is now its going now and our first harvest!

Attachments

• 0705101051a.jpg
    0705101051a.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 0705101051b.jpg
    0705101051b.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 190
Back
Top Bottom