Need a cake recipe that will hold up to fondant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kammy

Assistant Cook
hello,
Every year we buy our cakes for our little ones b/days...however...that is getting a little expensive at 175 a pop per 4 kids lol...so..I'm going to venture baking the cakes inbetween the landmark birthdays. I am an experienced baker in pastries and chocolates, but cakes are not my cup of tea per se. So, I am looking for a cake recipe that will have a dense texture and will hold up to fondant unlike the light airy textures. Does anyone have a recipe that they would recommend --vanilla (or yellow) would be great. Our idea for this one is a cake shaped like a gift box, covered in white fondant and a red ribbon and bow to complete...any comments or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks again for your help

For years I have relied on the advice and recipes of Rose Levy Beranbaum (in The Cake Bible). I've been baking since I was a child, but Rose knows WHY everything works the way it does.

When my nephew married many years ago, I baked a chocolate cake from that book that was frosted with fondant to look like a woman's hat.

I know you'll find a selection of recipes if you consult her. Here is her web site, but I would recommend the book as well, and/or her new prizewinner, "Rose's Heavenly Cakes."

Back
Top Bottom