Duck preparation for Peking Duck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eesnas

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I am seeking some assistance...

I'm a bit of an amateur as this is my second Peking Duck of all time, the first one came out absolutely fabulous. The first duck I made was bought frozen from Shaw's and was more or less prepped with the exception of wing-tip removal and general cleaning. With this second duck I decided to pick it up from my local Asian food market, it was also frozen but almost 40% cheaper than the frozen duck at Shaw's. I was a bit surprised when I opened the duck after defrosting to find that it was whole, head, feet, everything except the feathers. I managed to get the non-essential parts removed but I've noticed a lot of quills. I used tweezers to remove the larger ones but on the back of the duck there are still a lot of small ones that are very difficult to pull out. Since they are on the back and very small would it be okay for me not to pluck them all? The breast and legs are cleaned up nicely, those are the main portions we will be serving, but the amount of time to dig the tiny quills from the back would be several hours, which seems like too much work considering the location. I don't recall if the one I bought from Shaw's looked the same, I think seeing the head, feet, etc, made me examine this one more closely so I might be fixating on something that is perfectly normal, in fact I don't know if these little things even technically count as "quills", the larger ones I pulled certainly were but not sure about the small ones on the back.

I can take pictures if needed, just let me know and I can post them.

I am using this recipe if anyone is interested, it's the same one I used for my first duck: Peking Duck - 38023 - Recipezaar

Welcome to DC eesnes......forgive me, but I have tears running down my face, laffin....:LOL: I guess we get what we pay for, no?
Anyway, I don't know anything about Peeking Duck except I love to order it.
Someone will be along soon to help you, you can be sure.

Welcome to DC eesnes......forgive me, but I have tears running down my face, laffin....:LOL: I guess we get what we pay for, no?
Anyway, I don't know anything about Peeking Duck except I love to order it.
Someone will be along soon to help you, you can be sure.

yeah, I was a bit shocked when I saw the head with the beak still on it, I had to turn the other way to get through it, not an easy morning task :chef:

Welcome to DC... Like Kayelle I don't know much about peking duck except I adore it... I do remember a show on making one and if memory serves me (which can be a joke at times :LOL:) to prepare I think they dipped the duck 3 times in boiling water, and then removed the pin feathers... Maybe this will help... Let us know, and again welcome... ;):)

All I can say is it came out AWESOME!

I've had Peking Duck at several places and even a few in Hong Kong, I can say with no ego that the one I cooked last night was the best I've had. Seems the small things in the skin cooked out, it came out so crispy and good. My only complaint is that I wish I bought a bigger duck as it got devoured quickly!

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out eesnas. I'd really like to try it sometime, IF I can find a well cleaned duck, like the chickens at the grocery.
The recipe you left here sounds pretty easy to do if I can find a place to hang the darling. I'm not blessed with a pot rack.

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out eesnas. I'd really like to try it sometime, IF I can find a well cleaned duck, like the chickens at the grocery.
The recipe you left here sounds pretty easy to do if I can find a place to hang the darling. I'm not blessed with a pot rack.

I just used a hook above my sink with a bowl under and a fan pointed at it, one of those small ones to hang a dish brush from... If you go to Shaw's they have very well-cleaned frozen ducks, overall it's fairly easy just takes time...

BTW- the most important thing is to actually have a full 2-3 inches of water in a pan on the bottom rack with the actual duck up on the middle rack. The first time I made it the skin was not as crispy because I did not have enough water and it was too close to the actual duck... Either way to comes out good but just better with the water further below and deeper.

I would also like to try this Kayelle and not sure where to hang it, so if you come up with anything, do tell... Hmmm I wonder if my dryer rack would work if I covered it with foil to keep it clean... :idea::idea::idea:

I would also like to try this Kayelle and not sure where to hang it, so if you come up with anything, do tell... Hmmm I wonder if my dryer rack would work if I covered it with foil to keep it clean... :idea::idea::idea:

I'd really recommend using the string and fan so it rotates and drips, at least 4-6 hours... Any small hook will screw in under a cabinet will work fine for a 5lb duck, I don't think having it on a rack would be as good but I suppose it may work if the area is cool and dry. I speculate that if the duck is touching a rack it will not have the crispness on the skin in those areas due to the liquid rubbing off rather than drying on it.

I'd really recommend using the string and fan so it rotates and drips, at least 4-6 hours... Any small hook will screw in under a cabinet will work fine for a 5lb duck, I don't think having it on a rack would be as good but I suppose it may work if the area is cool and dry. I speculate that if the duck is touching a rack it will not have the crispness on the skin in those areas due to the liquid rubbing off rather than drying on it.

eesnas I will use the string and fan method I was just thinking of a place to hang it and thought maybe a dryer rack would work, but you're right if it touched the rack it might not have the same crispness, so I will look for a better place so that my fine feathered friend has his own space... Thankx for the imput... ;):)

eesnas I will use the string and fan method I was just thinking of a place to hang it and thought maybe a dryer rack would work, but you're right if it touched the rack it might not have the same crispness, so I will look for a better place so that my fine feathered friend has his own space... Thankx for the imput... ;):)

Actually, you could just use the rack but rather than lie it on the rack just hang it from a string tied to the rack with a pan under, I don't see any reason why that won't work...

I thought about hanging it on the front porch, but the neighbors would gawk, and it might draw flies. :rolleyes:

Think I found the answer.....I have a wash tub in the laundry room....I can screw a hook into the bottom of the cabinet above it, and hang it there. Do you have that kind of a setup Mimi?

I thought about hanging it on the front porch, but the neighbors would gawk, and it might draw flies. :rolleyes:

Think I found the answer.....I have a wash tub in the laundry room....I can screw a hook into the bottom of the cabinet above it, and hang it there. Do you have that kind of a setup Mimi?

I also thought about hanging it outside but I was sure it wasn't suppose to cook at the same time... :LOL: You're so damn smart Kayelle, I do have a laundry tub with wire shelving above it, what was I thinking... Great idea... Hmmmm now how to keep the kitty away from the dangling duck!!! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom