Need help with a recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefkathleen

Sous Chef
I have a recipe that I got somewhere and I don't know where. I'm going to try it in a day or two but, it has some missing parts. This is how it downloaded and I'd like to know what was there. Can anyone help? The brown sugar is what I'm most concerned with.
Thanks!

Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce
This syrup based sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated. It compliments egg rolls, chicken stir fries, won tons, etc. It can also be used with ham and pastas.

Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth (water can be used if no broth is available)
1/4 tsp. ginger
1 tbs. onion powder or 1/4 onion finely chopped
2 cloves crushed garlic
16 oz. can crushed or chunk pineapple (substitute  cup lemon juice if used for seafood)
 cup firmly packed brown sugar (substitute  cup white granulated sugar if lemon juice is used)
1/8 cup balsamic, or apple cider vinegar
1/4 chopped sweet pepper (optional but omit if lemon juice is used)
2 tbs. cornstarch mixed with 4 oz. water

Combine ingredients in order. After adding brown sugar, taste. Sauce should be fairly sweet with the ginger and chicken flavors tickling, not stomping the taste buds. Add vinegar and taste again. Add more brown sugar or vinegar as needed. But be careful. It is much easier to add just a bit more of something than it’s to try to remove it, or compensate for a too strong flavor.
Mix the cornstarch and water together, and pour into the gently boiling sauce. Stir rapidly to distribute until the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and cover.

Crushed pineapple is better for egg rolls, won tons, tempura coated items. Chunk pineapple is good with pork chops, ribs, chicken pieces, etc.

I haven't seen a similar recipe with those ingredients, but I would figure 1/4 cup brown sugar and then adjust from there if necessary.

I couldn't find it no. I think 1/4 might be a good starting place too. It's just been bugging me all day.

IMO, I'd find another recipe as I think this one is way out of proportion.
Too much sugar, too much corn starch, too little ginger, too much broth.
What little vinegar is called for isn't essential with all the pineapple juice.
If I was doing this from scratch, anf for sake of somewhere to start, using 1 cup of pineapple chunks with juice on which I'd use an immersion blender, would start with a quarter cup of brown sugar, at least a half tsp of ginger, 1 tsp corn starch mixed in a little water, maybe a half cup of chicken stock, garlic to taste, a few shakes of soy sauce and see hos it comes out, then add to your taste. this might be the time for more chicken broth, a little vinegar, more sugar etc.
Disclaimer! Do any of this at your own risk as it's solely my opinion.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to play with it for a little while this evening and see what pops out. *I feel like a mad scientist heading into her lab* :LOL:

Kathleen, from reading your recipe, if you follow that, you will end up with a QUART of sauce. Are you sure you want that much? It will (I think) also be very liquidy, rather than "saucy." Not sure where my sweet and sour sauce recipe is, but I know it's pineapple-heavy. If I can find it, I'll post it for you tonight. (It's from my cooking school days. :))

Sounds fab June thanks.
I went ahead and made it like the recipe calls for. Using 1/4 c brown sugar. I really like to follow a new recipe for me to the letter the first time I make it. I want to know what the person was intending when they wrote it. It's a really bland color as you can imagine. Kind of a tan/brownish. It's cooling now. It really doesn't taste bad at all. I imagine I could reduce it down somewhat as pineapple and the broth are a watery substance. It would also intensify the flavor. I may, if I like it enough, try to freeze it as well.
There's a Chinese restaurant not far from me that I Love. With a capital LOVE!:LOL: and they give you, what I believe is a pineapple based sauce with your egg rolls. I was hoping that this would be like it. It's not. :(

Back
Top Bottom