Grill or pan fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mimizkitchen

Head Chef
I am a huge fan of thick, juicy steaks on the grill, however the topic came up over the weekend and much to my surprise a few people had said they heard the best way to cook a steak is to pan fry... While I know that one done in a cast iron skillet can do so major, yummy crusting on a steak, i'm not sure that this is the "best way"

What do you all think??? :):):)

the best steaks I've had while dining out at fine restaurants have been done in a pan and then sauced. Much better than the grill at a steak house.

My dad use to pan fry burgers and thick steaks. He would take co pan get it somkin then put salt in the bottom, lay on the meat and walk away. When it got crusty and released it's self he would turn it leave it for several minutes and remove from the pan. Talk about good. These were the best.
kades

I think it's a matter of personal preference.
Completely agree, as done properly, both ways are excellent for doing steaks. So you need to take into account level of 'doneness', marinades, toppings, rubs etc. and pick the method to suit your preference.

My dad use to pan fry burgers and thick steaks. He would take co pan get it somkin then put salt in the bottom, lay on the meat and walk away. When it got crusty and released it's self he would turn it leave it for several minutes and remove from the pan. Talk about good. These were the best.
kades

My Daddy did the very same thing Kades........out of this world good. He used an iron skillet screaming hot, with no oil, just Kosher salt. I actually forgot about it until now. Yumm......

I do mine much as Kayelle - Get a CI skillet very hot on the stove and preheat my oven to 350. Dry fry the steak 3 minutes per side, turning only once, then bake for 3 minutes at 350, remove from the skillet and let rest for 3 minutes. It will be a nearly perfect medium rare every time, juicy and tender but with a nice crust!

I actually prefer a steak grilled, but reality interferes with life sometimes, and the way I had it mostly as a kid was pan fried, and I still like it. Butter, onions, and mushrooms go well with pan frying.

Ok I see pan fried is in the lead, so heres my next question... I can't use a CI on my stove as it is glass top, and now I really want to try this method, so can I, and has anybody ever, used a CI on the bbq??? Would I get the same results??? :ermm::ermm::ermm:

You can absolutely use CI on your grill. I actually prefer to use CI over the grill. this makes a lotta smoke in the house. We live in an old farmhouse and don't have a vent fan, so we throw the windows open and turn on a window fan. On the grill is better. Good luck in your endeavor.

I do not find much difference between the grill and the pan when it comes to steak. I think the cook plays a bigger role than the method. A great steak is cooked to the perfect temp (however you happen to like it). I like mine med-rare. I would rather have a med-rare grilled steak than a med or rare pan steak. And the reverse it true as well. As long as you cook it to my desired temp then I will be very happy.

When I cook steaks at home I grill them as I love cooking outside on a grill. During the winter I use my CI inside if I don't feel like going out. The steaks taste just as good, but I have to deal with smoke alarms and ventilation which I do not have to do outside.

If we are talking steak grilled over charcoal, that would be my absolute favorite.....inside red, and outside chared please. And no, I don't give a hoot if it's not good for me. A steak on a gas grill, may just as well be done in a broiler.....it imparts nothing but heat.
Is your grill gas or charcoal Mimi? Either way, give the CI skillet a shot. :chef:

I like doing my steaks on the grill (charcoal). It can be a tough call for me though with the amount of time it takes to the get grill ready and the very little time it takes to "cook" the steak. ;)

I like doing my steaks on the grill (charcoal). It can be a tough call for me though with the amount of time it takes to the get grill ready and the very little time it takes to "cook" the steak. ;)

Yes Kayelle it is charcoal, I do like gas for its ease, but charcoal for flavor...

Frank I agree thats why I always plan on doing something else on the grill like corn, or potatoes, so I don't feel like I lit it up just for a few minutes cooking time... ;):)

Grilled over wood coals is my absolute favorite...There is something special about meat cooked with the dry heat of wood that's been reduced to coals and embers that cannot be described...It has to be experienced......Commercial lump charcoal runs a close second....The only time I use the grill pan method is when it starts raining, raining, raining, and shows no signs of stopping...This doesn't happen very often....checking the weather forecast is part of the plan for cooking steaks......

Fun!

I would have to agree that wood coals deliver the most excellent smokey taste that you could ever imagine. Charcoal is good too and I have even achieved good results through using a gas grill and the right seasonings but I usually cook it very low and add the seasonings right before the first flip and sear the seasonings into the steak.

Back
Top Bottom