Strawberry Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
Without having grandparents around anymore, I've decided to remember my grandfather by making wine. My grandfather made the BEST blackberry wine I've ever had. To learn the basics, I'm attempting to make Strawberry Wine. It's my first time making wine and I'm pretty excited about the adventure.

I bought a basic wine-making kit (specifically for fruit wine) from HomeBrewers.com. I likely paid too much for the kit, but it had everything that seemed to pop up in wine-making recipes. It also contained a few things that never popped up in any recipe I've seen so far. (Yeast energizer and Yeast nutrient. I have no idea what these things are or what they do.)

I asked Frank to kill eight pounds of strawberries (which I think will be enough to make 3 gallons of wine.) He used his kitchen-aid (aka Lucille) with the fruit and vegetable strainer. I poured the goop (must) through the nylon fruit bag and lightly knotted it. The color was beautiful!

Added the water, acid blend, tannin, pectic enzyme, camden tablets, and sugar. The tannin added was just a small amount, but changed the color a bit. I also added yeast energizer...since it was in the kit. From what I read, it seemed useful so...I had it and so it went in too.

I used OJ, sugar, and yeast as the starter. I had read a lot on yeast and settled on a type of yeast sold south of town rather than use the yeast that came in the kit. It was active enough to blow the top off of the container that I used to start it. :ermm:

Now, I'm waiting. Here are some struggles that I've encountered so far:

• How do I get an accurate read on the hydrometer? I've tried, but cannot get to eye level to read it.
  • When my starter blew the lid off, I lost some of the mixture. Will this be a problem? I would guess I've lost perhaps 1/4 of a cup out of 1.5 cups.
I'd love to hear from other novice wine-makers! Suggestions and/or comments are definitely welcome.

~Kathleen

Don't know about making wine Kathleen all I know is you better stop calling her "aka Lucille" ever see Chucky movies??? Just saying!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I made kiwi wine a few years back ( had 900 kiwis, and didnt know what else to do with so many). I forgot what i did, so technically i cant give advice. But, what i can say is it was a great experience, and a lot of fun. Im thinking of making another kind of wine this year, just not sure what yet. I do remember i got a lot of advice from the local wine and beer supply store. the guys who worked there were very helpful. If i remember anything, ill let u know.

larry

Mimi, what Lucille did to those strawberries....all I can say is Chuckie flashbacks could have easily appeared. :)

Larry, I can't wait to hear what you decide to make.

I just completed my first racking of the wine. The color has stayed very nice, but it is cloudy. I have a hydrometer but cannot seem to get an accurate reading. In seven days, the hydrometer seemed to bottom out.

In racking into a secondary fermentor, I had about a gallon left over. The bubbling has slowed dramatically and the fizzing when I stir is minimal. I'm unsure what to expect so am rather flying blind.

~Kathleen

I just remember the the first week or two were kind of exciting. After that, it was a waiting game. i did it back in 2007. I can remember that the best part was bottling up the wine. I got this big bottle corker. My kids ( and me ) had a blast). But, stupid me brought everything outside to wash out when i was done. Filled with water. Got lazy. Winter came, and my 5 gallon glass jars and my plastic container ( forgot the technical names) all broke and cracked. So i would have to reinvest if i choose to do it again

No experience with wine as well. The last time I tasted a strawberry wine created by my friend, it was really awful. Didn't taste as good as the strawberry wine that I tasted in shops. And that's the last time he tried.

Im not much of a wine drinker, but I do enjoy cooking with it. So, after I made my kiwi wine, I really had nothing to compare it to. To me, it tasted like wine. And since i really dont like wine all that much, i thought it wasnt all that great. A month later M y wife and I went to a food and wine show. I went up to a vendor and asked to try his best wines, figuring I could now compare my homemade stuff to among the best. Honestly, I couldnt tell the difference, it all tasted the same to me :) . A month after that, I was invited to my parents house for a holiday dinner. Of course, I brought my wine. The consensus was, that my wine tasted like crap, so I guess I had to believe them . I still use it to cook, and in my opinion tastes good as a cooking wine. But, I have about 20 bottles of it in my basement.

Ironically, I'm not a big wine-drinker either. Most of my friends like wine though and I will love to cook with it. I want it to turn out so badly. My grandfather made wine. No one else in the family does. It's really in memory of Grandpa. I would feel better if it blurped just once though!

~Kathleen

Strawberry Wine - Update!

I just racked the wine after noticing the airlock was totally void of bubbles. The wine in the carboy seemed fairly clear with the exception of about 2-3 inches of dense sediment on the bottom. I had to try the wine even though it is still not ready for bottling. The color in the glass was simply lovely. It seems to have faded a bit from when I started, but stayed true enough to please me. In tasting, the wine was very dry. I added about 1.5 cups of sugar to sweeten it a bit. Now it sets for another month or so before bottling.

I wish I could get a reading on the hydrometer but, since I only made three gallons...and it is really more like 2.5...I hit bottom before I get a reading. The alcohol content at this stage was enough to put a strawberry blush on my cheeks though.

~Kathleen

Strawberry Wine - bottled!

I bottled my strawberry wine tonight. I'm pleased enough with the color though it was not as vibrant as it had been. The smell is strong of strawberries. I finally got a good reading on the hydrometer and, if I am reading it correctly, the alcohol content is about 15 to 16%, and the reaction of the first sips made us believe it!

I used smaller bottles (375 ml) and ended up with 22 bottles. It has a nice strawberry after taste. I do hope the "in your face" alcohol punch mellows a bit with age.

~Kathleen

:LOL: ...you haven't got a chance Frank...check out my signature...it says "A man's house is his castle, until the queen arrives". Besides, after a little too much of her strawberry wine you won't care.

Wish I was there for a wine-tasting! WTG kathleen!

First Taste of the "Aged" Strawberry Wine

I took a few bottles of the wine to visit family over the holiday. First, I was disappointed to see tiny floaties in the bottle. It did not mar the clarity of the wine if I ran it through a strainer, but I really need to be more careful during racking or bottling. Next year, I may do a second racking of wine in hopes of avoiding this.

In the glass, there were no floaties. The beautiful pink color has substantially lightened, but it still has the strong strawberry scent to the wine. The flavor is milder. Next year, I will cut back on tannins, but the wine was flavorful and light. I'm pretty happy with the first try at making wine.

I've ended up with about 18% alcohol content. I used 375 ml bottles rather than 750 ml size. I'm glad I did that. It's easy to store and I have little waste. Our friends do not drink a lot, but enjoy a simple glass of wine.

~Kathleen

I'm in awe of your adventuresome nature. Kudos to you for a wonderful result with your Strawberry Wine...mmmm.

The "floaties" ,or sediment, are quite common from what I've read. Assuming you stored it properly, then it's just a natural part of the fermentation and aging process. Straining may alter the aroma and flavor of the wine a bit so try this:

Stand your bottle upright in a cool, but not cold, place for a day or more until all the setiment rests at the bottom of the bottle. Be careful not to disturb the sediment when transporting the bottle or removing the cork. Clean the bottleneck and lip of the bottle where the cork has been with a clean cloth. Then carefully pour the wine into a decanter in a slow continuous delibrate motion...don't stop nor hesitate even...and be sure to watch carefully for the first sign of sediment coming out...then stop. Strain the rest through a coffee filter if you want. The little amount left won't matter if the filtering process adds a paper flavor to the aroma or taste a little....since you'll only have an ounce or so of sediment/wine left. Or you can just toss that last ounce.

You have some lucky friends. wish I was there to have a sip. :)

I have to say, the amount "floaties" is the difference between very well done and perfect, barely noticeable expect to a perfectionist. :)

As a "wine taster" for the holiday festivities, I must say, the wine had a light refreshing taste. It was very good, and Kathleen left us a couple of bottles to enjoy at a later date. Don't drink much and when I do, I prefer a lighter wine, this fits the bill. Looking forward to next year's crop.

MollyAnne - Thanks for the kind words and the awesome idea. I am sure the floaties will sink to the bottom....plus I can dig out my old glass decanters. I knew I kept them for a reason! *bounces* :)

Frank - I'm sure you did not sip any for a reason. It MUST be the floaties! :)

Linda - I knew you would like it. I like wine that is light and slightly sweet too. I wish it had kept its deep pink color though.

Still, I'm pleased with my first try. Next year, I will try either plum wine or blackberry......or both!

~Kathleen

Back
Top Bottom