Grrrr, burnt my breading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lspreack

Assistant Cook
New to this forum, and first to admit I am a novice cook. I tried my hand at breading chicken breasts and pan frying them in a cast iron skillet. I soaked the chicken in an egg/milk mixture for a few minutes then coated them with bread crumbs. I got my 10in cast iron skillet good and hot with a few heaping tablespoon fulls of peanut oil. Well, I burned the breading crust. Chicken was cooked through not very flavorful. It's so frustrating to spend that time coating the breasts and have it burn and fall off the meat. Any advice?

I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time on this forum because learning to cook has become one of my new passions! :w00t2:

I did a general search for burnt breading. Hope I'm not re-posting an already asked question.

This is how I do it.

First, coat the meat in flour, and shake of excess.

Second dip in beaten egg/milk mixture

Third, coat with bread crumbs.

I find that the flour step helps the breading hold on to the chicken better.

I also pound chicken flat so it is nice and thin, so it takes less time to cook. You could also try frying it until brown, then placing on a baking pan, and placing in the oven set at 350 until cooked through.

Bread crumb breading burns very easily, you have to make sure that your pan is not too hot.

I got my 10in cast iron skillet good and hot
The breading burnt because your heat was too high. Try setting it at medium next time and that should take care of the burning.
Chicken was cooked through not very flavorful.
You did not mention seasoning the chicken before breading it. Next time, add salt at the minimum. You can also add any other seasoning you like, but at least add some salt. This will greatly help with flavor.

Ditto on both bakechef and GB's posts... You must season your food before breading, were your crumbs seasoned???

You can season the flour I use before dipping in the egg with salt, pepper, paprika, & garlic powder.

I have never been a fan of seasoning the flour. I do season mine, but I also season the meat. I do not find enough of the seasoning in the flour actually makes it to the food. Most of it ends up getting tossed out with the excess flour.

You can season the flour I use before dipping in the egg with salt, pepper, paprika, & garlic powder.

I have never been a fan of seasoning the flour. I do season mine, but I also season the meat. I do not find enough of the seasoning in the flour actually makes it to the food. Most of it ends up getting tossed out with the excess flour.

Sorry, I meant in addition to seasoning the meat.

Sorry Dave, I did not mean to imply your way was wrong. I do the exact same thing you do. I season both.

Back
Top Bottom