Barley?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
i want to make chicken chili tomorrow, i would like to add a little barley, just to make it that much more nutrition wise/ would that be strange. if not to strange how much should i add. should i cook it first or let it cook in the broth ? will be in crockpot.

help please

Add it to the broth. Hard to say how much. The barley swells up a lot and takes a lot of liquid. Add barley and extra broth/water to be absorbed. You can always adjust the amount of liquid.

When I make beef barley soup, I use pearl barley, add it to the beef stock first and let it cook for maybe half an hour, then I add the cooked beef and the vegetables and simmer it until the vegetables are cooked; by that time, the barley is also cooked. I don't know if that would work for chicken chili or not, but it works really well for my soup.

i want to make chicken chili tomorrow, i would like to add a little barley, just to make it that much more nutrition wise/ would that be strange. if not to strange how much should i add. should i cook it first or let it cook in the broth ? will be in crockpot.

help please
Nothing is strange if it appeals to you. I've never used it so hopfully one of our members can step up and help you. But it sounds good to me. Let me know if you use it.
kades

When I make beef barley soup, I use pearl barley, add it to the beef stock first and let it cook for maybe half an hour, then I add the cooked beef and the vegetables and simmer it until the vegetables are cooked; by that time, the barley is also cooked. I don't know if that would work for chicken chili or not, but it works really well for my soup.

Just curious why you cook it that way.

When I make beef barley soup, I cook the meat and veggies for some time then add the barley and cook that until done.

decided to deep six the barley. doesn't seem to fit. will put in tiny tomatoes before they go bad. and a couple hot peppers left from making salsa. the left over salsa itself. and some assorted small bell peppers. of course onion, garlic and white beans. putting in left over roasted chicken. and whatever i think of. thanks for info everyone.

Andy M, I cook the barley some before adding the vegetables because I don't want the vegetables to get to soft. Whether they actually would or not I don't know, it just made sense to me to do it the first time I made the soup.

Andy M, I cook the barley some before adding the vegetables because I don't want the vegetables to get to soft. Whether they actually would or not I don't know, it just made sense to me to do it the first time I made the soup.

I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with what you are doing.

You could add the veggies after the barley is partially cooked so they wouldn't get too soft.

i, too, preferentially, prefer pre-cooked barley/starches. the viscosity of the resulting broth is varying & inconsistant.

originally i gave up on the barley. how ever my chili is too thin. i added corn starch but still to thin. think i will cook a bit of barley tomorrow and add that to thicken up the sauce. anymore corn starch will ruin the taste, i think.

i am sorry i started this particular dish.just wanted to use up some left overs. i will be eating it forever.

in chili, I would prefer cornmeal. I don't like rice or barley in soup.

I use barley in a variety of dishes that are not really traditional. I always add it uncooked. I believe the water grain ration is like rice, 2 to 1. I add it to soups, stews chili, lentils...

originally i gave up on the barley. how ever my chili is too thin. i added corn starch but still to thin. think i will cook a bit of barley tomorrow and add that to thicken up the sauce. anymore corn starch will ruin the taste, i think.

i am sorry i started this particular dish.just wanted to use up some left overs. i will be eating it forever.
babe, my mom use to thicken beans by getting a large can of already cooked bens then mash with a potato masher and stir into her beans.Thickened them up just fine.
kades

If you want to thicken, do not cook in advance. The barley will suck up the water and thicken the sauce.

Back
Top Bottom