Substitutions, True Story & Conversions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yourstrulyewalani

Senior Cook
Have you ever wanted to make something so bad, but not have everything you need and really not want to go to the store? Did it miraculously work out or did it end in disaster?

I am baking a carrot cake and I discovered that I have no more granulated sugar. But wait! I found sugar cubes in the pantry and I figured out how many standard square sugar cubes equal one cup. Problem solved!

So I mashed them up as best I could (still very lumpy) and went on about my recipe. No worries they'll dissolve with the wet ingredients and this cake will have a happy ending!

Hmmm, darn it still one cup short...so I added brown sugar. I add all the dry ingredients and get them all mixed together and then I did my thing with the wet ingredients and THEN I had a sort of epiphany. Why don't I mix the sugar cubes with the eggs and cream them together? WHOOPS too late now that I already have everything in the same bowl dripping together.

Well, shoot if it didn't turn out with sugar lumps! What the heck was I thinking?? I wasn't thinking and that is my problem! Apparently my hindsight is crystal clear while my foresight is a bit murky and dimmed by impatience. I got out my hand mixer and mixed the batter until I realized it wasn't helping but the batter was too thick for my little mixer. Then out came my trusty potato masher and I tackled those lumps diligently as I shook my head asking myself why I didn't just wait until tomorrow after a run to the store. Oh, and I forgot to tell you I used the last of my flour making my melted-butter chocolate chip cookies so I am using King Arthur unbleached flour ideal-for-bread.

Anyways, I folded in the carrots and then poured the batter into my greased 13 by 9 and also filled 6 muffin cups. Thank goodness for the cup cake sized ones because I will need to do a spot check before serving this cake to my mother for her birthday dinner tomorrow! It is baking as I type this to you.

I swear, if I were any more impatient nothing would ever turn out for me. Has anyone else ever had this kind of night or is it just me? :chef:

Good I'm glad it's not just me. Disasters are so frustrating, but I guess that's how we figure out new things.

Well I have good news. This one actually turned out good. I shall now call this recipe "Can't Screw It Up If You Try Carrot Cake". Substituted, lumpy and overmixed it is perfectly moist and fluffy. YAY a victory!

I always keep basics for baking on hand, I measure meticulously and rarely make substitutions in baking.

With that said, I did have some lumpy brown sugar when I was making a carrot cake a couple weeks ago. After combining the sugars, eggs, and oil, I discovered that the lumps were not going away, so I ran it through a strainer, I added a tbls white sugar for the lumps left behind. LOL I really should have opened the other bag of brown sugar!

With that said, I did have some lumpy brown sugar when I was making a carrot cake a couple weeks ago. After combining the sugars, eggs, and oil, I discovered that the lumps were not going away, so I ran it through a strainer, I added a tbls white sugar for the lumps left behind. LOL I really should have opened the other bag of brown sugar!

Were you shaking your head and grumbling as you strained out the lumps? lol I would have been.

My pantry is like a mini store shelf with all the extras I rotate of basics (never know when I feel like a bake off!) but being that I stock up I take my stock for granted. Besides that I'm resourceful and creative with most things however baking isn't something to be changed up on a whim unless you really know your ingredients. I am still learning but at this rate I will be much better at it in no time!

I SO got lucky with this carrot cake. :chef:

Were you shaking your head and grumbling as you strained out the lumps? lol I would have been.

My pantry is like a mini store shelf with all the extras I rotate of basics (never know when I feel like a bake off!) but being that I stock up I take my stock for granted. Besides that I'm resourceful and creative with most things however baking isn't something to be changed up on a whim unless you really know your ingredients. I am still learning but at this rate I will be much better at it in no time!

I SO got lucky with this carrot cake. :chef:

Definitely grumbling! LOL

I have a pantry like that too. Luckily I have a grocery store less than a mile away, so I can just run to get something. But it still is frustrating to run out of stuff when you try not to!

I always try not to change anything in baking. But I do have a store right next door so it's just a quick run.

haha. I made chocolate cupcakes yesterday and I opened the fridge and realized that I had NO EGGS. Out of all the things, eh? I subbed it with cornstarch. Then I opened the pantry and only had half a cup of all purpose left. I subbed the other half with whole wheat. This usually unhealthy cupcake turned out marvelous and... extremely filling! I ate it for dinner with a salad :)

Last edited by a moderator:
How many eggs did it all for? And how much cornstarch did you use? Just curious because in a pinch, I'm copyin' you! That's awesome that they turned out so good! :chef:

I'm not sure how you can substitute corn starch for eggs. There had to be other changes made to the liquid portion of the recipe to make up for the liquid/moisture that that was lost by not adding the eggs.

It's odd how some things work out with improvising and some things are very unforgiving. I had a muffin recipe that turned out great when I left out eggs completely but in most things they are in the recipe for a reason. I did use oil as a substitite for some of the eggs in a cake recipe and it turned out perfect, moist and not-greasy. I got lucky I think because when I tried it on a different recipe it was greasy and not as fluffy. Yet another learning experience. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom