Vegetarian borscht!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
Trying to reduce my meat intake I have started cooking some vegetarian dishes. Mainly soups so far. The potato soup and the vegetable soups were great but the Borscht!! now that was really something..

I placed some butter in a heavy pot, melted it down and added chopped leeks, I dropped in some shredded carrots and chopped celery. Sauteed those while I ran the peeled beets through the food processor. Put the beets in with the other veggies and poured in organic vegetable stock, salt, pepper, a little Tony's cajun seasoning, a couple tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, a little soul food seasoning a little fresh basil. Brought it up to a boil and let it simmer for 2 hours.

Served with a dollop of sour cream..wow, fantastic! It's the first time I made borscht but it won't be the last!!!

There are as many ways to make borscht as there are cooks... maybe it's not how YOU or your neighbors make it, Charlie.
nothing personal.

Listen you can call it whatever you want, in all the truth it doesn't matter, and I should have not started with this.

A side note whenever somebody calles their version of Borscht authentic, that is a clear sign to stay away from such a recipe.

Name doesn't matter, what matters is the taste.

check out the links... there are plenty of great, authentic borscht recipes listed. There are special ones for Christmas Eve, as well as regional specialties, which are quite varied.

Perhaps we can simply agree that there are many kinds of Borscht.

I spent some time in Russia and Ukriane and found that it was really variable.. That said, it almost all had meat or meat stock in it and a lot of it had something called sourovetz which is a fermented buckwheat bread slurry that both thickens and flavors the soup. I note in the OP mentions Worcestershire sauce.. most brands are made from anchovies although there are a few veggie versions out there.

Yep, I've read about the "souring" of the soup by using buckwheat, or other grains. Here's an interesting link for a Christmas Eve borscht, which typically contains no meat (from what I've read).
Christmas Eve borsch and uszka
and like I said earlier, there are as many ways to make borscht as there are cooks!

Good thing thihs is not russian/ukranian forum, by now there would be 300 + posts insisting that their borscht is the real borscht and everything else is a parody.

Not a problem Charlie... there are thousands of Borscht recipes. Call it beet soup if you must. It was still based around beets, and was very good..

All I know is that ANYTHING Jeff makes is on my good list. Thanks for the recipe Jeff!!! Did you serve it hot or cold?

Last edited:
All I know is that ANYTHING Jeff makes is on my good list. Thanks for the recipe Jeff!!! Did you serve it hot or cold?

Thanks..
I served it hot. Lots of beets!!!

A true vegetarian friend of mine loved it. She is small and had 2 BIG bowls!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom