Can anyone recommend a good ice cream maker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leecommajacob

Assistant Cook
Hello!

I am looking for an ice cream maker that would work great, serve the purpose I need, and not cost hundreds of dollars. I am looking for just a good machine that can make ice cream if you add the ingredients in. I searched online and I found a lot of them that are either 200 dollars or 30 dollars and some of them have specifications that tell me I am required to put part of it in the freezer or something? I'd like to avoid that if possible but I am no master chef so I really am not sure if that's just a requirement.
I appreciate you reading this and I would be grateful if anyone has an idea :chef:

Anyway, thank you all for reading this and have yourselves a pleasant tomorrow!

You basically have three options:

1. The old fashioned kind that requires you to use ice and salt to chill the mix as you crank it using an electric motor or elbow grease. Look for the White Mountain brand. These do a good job and are inexpensive but very messy. You really should use them only outdoors.

2. Electric ice cream makers that have their own built in refrigeration so you don't need ice or have to put the bowl in the freezer overnight. Very expensive but not messy and fast.

3. Electric ones that have a bowl which requires overnight in the freezer to solidly freeze an internal gel. Inexpensive and no mess. Make ice cream on the kitchen counter. Available for around $50. Check out Cuisinart and Braun.

You basically have three options:

1. The old fashioned kind that requires you to use ice and salt to chill the mix as you crank it using an electric motor or elbow grease. Look for the White Mountain brand. These do a good job and are inexpensive but very messy. You really should use them only outdoors.

2. Electric ice cream makers that have their own built in refrigeration so you don't need ice or have to put the bowl in the freezer overnight. Very expensive but not messy and fast.

3. Electric ones that have a bowl which requires overnight in the freezer to solidly freeze an internal gel. Inexpensive and no mess. Make ice cream on the kitchen counter. Available for around $50. Check out Cuisinart and Braun.
The fourth choice is the Donvier type that is a manually operated with a freezeable bowl. I have a couple of these in two sizes, and they are quick to operate. The bowls reside in my beer refrigerator freezer compartment. This is a kid friendly device that even youngest kitchen helper can use from start to finish with supervision.

We had one of those, but I think we lost a part somewhere along the way. Very easy to use, one just turns the crank every now and then. We have one now that we bought at that big blue discount store... anyways, very noisy electric, but did it on the counter inside, it worked great, inexpensive. We bought the rock salt there, too, and didn't care for the rocks in the salt (if that makes sense), so would like to try some other kind of salt. What would i use?
I've heard several folks mention a cuisinart... ??

My wife wants a 2 Quart maker and I'm trying to decide if 2 is better than 1 1/2 just cause? Or you can make two quarts and "freeze the left-overs". Honey, do you know what a container of "bear tracks" cost? Any input for the cause either way will be greatly appreciated. You know, "man, I wish I had that 2qt instead of my one and a half...."
Thanks

If you need larger quantities to feed more than a few people, a larger ic maker may be the way to go. On the other hand, you can buy multiple bowls for the 1 1/2 quart Cuisinart and the others so you can make several different flavors rather than just one.

We are looking for a new ice cream maker, too, and might get the Donvier, described above.

We had something similar for 15 years until a plastic part finally broke. Sure got our money's worth. Think it's called the Supremer Ice Creamer.

Andy M - your post clarifying all the different types is just great, really helpful.

We also have an oldish electric one - Waring Ice Cream Parlor made in 1972 - where you need salt and ice and so on & so forth. You plug it in and it turns and makes ice cream. Bad point: it sounds like a Boeing 747 taking off. You have to leave the house or put it outside. As you said! :LOL:

We are looking for a new ice cream maker, too, and might get the Donvier, described above.

We had something similar for 15 years until a plastic part finally broke. Sure got our money's worth. Think it's called the Supremer Ice Creamer.

Andy M - your post clarifying all the different types is just great, really helpful.

We also have an oldish electric one - Waring Ice Cream Parlor made in 1972 - where you need salt and ice and so on & so forth. You plug it in and it turns and makes ice cream. Bad point: it sounds like a Boeing 747 taking off. You have to leave the house or put it outside. As you said! :LOL:

I prefer the freezable bowl to the salt and ice type. The freezable bowl is cleaner and less messy to use but it has to be frozen overnight, which requires planning.

I had one of those back in the day, and literally used it up. Can't believe there is still one running! :LOL:

The fourth choice is the Donvier type that is a manually operated with a freezeable bowl. I have a couple of these in two sizes, and they are quick to operate. The bowls reside in my beer refrigerator freezer compartment. This is a kid friendly device that even youngest kitchen helper can use from start to finish with supervision.

I also have one of these manual Donviers & it's still cranking out terrific ice cream, sorbet, sherbet, frozen yogurt, etc., etc., after around 15 years! Not much elbow grease needed - just a couple of cranks every few minutes for about 20 minutes or so. Cost us somewhere between $15 & $20 back then. Can't beat it for economy & quality end product.

I have a Stone Mountain ice cream maker that was passes down to us from my husband's dad. It was used so much that the motor burned out and he replaced it with a drill motor. It's work to make the ice cream but oh my, it's worth it.

I am curious as to how the electric ones work. The manual ones, you have to crank every few minutes and then at some point move to a different gear. At least this is how the Supremer worked. Do the electric ones run continually or what?

I am curious as to how the electric ones work. The manual ones, you have to crank every few minutes and then at some point move to a different gear. At least this is how the Supremer worked. Do the electric ones run continually or what?

That's right. The electric ones turn/churn continuously. It takes about 20-25 minutes to make a batch.

I am not sure whether to get a manual or an electric one, now. It is a matter of trying to find a whole bunch of reviews, I guess, then making up my mind!

I chose the electric for the ease and speed with which it made ice cream. I did not want the mess of ice and salt and certainly did not want to have to hand crank. I could be doing other things while the electric motor did all the work.

Either type will make good ice cream.

With the manual Donvier, you put the removable freezer container in your freezer (if I have the room, I pretty much keep it in their all the time). Then you add your ingredients & turn the handle just 2 or 3 times every 3 minutes for 15-20 minutes. That's it. Always comes out great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom