Making Veal Tonnato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I'm making Marcella Hazan's recipe for Veal Tonnato for a small dinner party. I need suggestions for side dishes, since this is a very rich dish. Any help will really be appreciated. :)

I'd definitely do a salad with an acidy vinegar dressing, to cut the richness; and some yummy crusty bread. Maybe some roasted broccoli, or 'broccolini' if you can find it, sauteed with some tiny grape tomatoes?

Mmm. I've read about Veal Tonnato, but I've never eaten it. Maybe some gnocci or fresh fettucine, maybe some julienned carrots simmered to crisp-done in a bit of beef stock. A dusting of dillweed would complement the fish element of the Tonnato.

Tiramisu would be a good dessert.

Good luck! Your guests should be very happy with Tonnato. I know I would be.

Cats

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I have never had broccollini (sp? but have wanted to try it. Don't know if it's available around here. The carrot idea is good, also,. I am avoiding pasta as are some of my friends, so may have to skip that one.

Any other suggestions?

My recipe says to garnish centre with salad greens, black olives and if desired, sieved egg yolk, and to serve the remainder of the sauce separately. I think at that time we had alot of homemade chips or fries, maybe we had them with the vitello tonnato.

Back
Top Bottom