Blackberry Jalapeno Jelly/Preserves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannon in KS

Cooking Links Contest Winner
We absolutely LOVE jalapeno jelly, and this gardening season, I wanted to venture into more variations. I never got my raspberries planted yet, but I am blessed with a lot of beautiful blackberries!

I have searched the web in hopes of finding a recipe, but can't seem to find one. It was suggested I used a raspberry jalapeno jelly recipes, but I am a little concerned that blackberries have a lot more juice in them... I would like to have some of the blackberry pulp in the jelly, rather than clear. We use it mainly for appetizers... any suggestions? :)

If you are making Jelly you want juice and the recipe should specify how much juice you should have to make up the recipe, so I'm not really sure what your concern is.

If you want 'pulp' in it, then it is not really Jelly anymore but is approaching a Jam, but you run the risk of all your fruit pieces floating to the top since fruit contains air. If you get a good stir of the mixture before it goes into the jars and it sets quickly, it might look better.

All you can do is try and cross your fingers.

Inverting jars, a practice many many years ago, is no longer recommended since it can compromise the seal. Jars should not be disturbed for 8-14 hours after removed from the canner. After that you can shake the jar as much as you want but it won't do much if gelling has already set in.

Back
Top Bottom