Another attempt at pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wish i could help you. three or four days ago i made pickles made without salt. also subbed the sugar with splenda. can't have sugar or salt. they are very good. very crispy . i just sliced a cuke into round disks and added to the recipe i found on line. will p.m. recipe to you if you like. good luck

First of all the recipe sounds very good. Problem is where you are going to find any of those leaves, well except maybe oak. Another problem cucumbers themselves. I buy mine at the farmers market and it is hit or miss situation. I do not know what those farmers do to pickles but sometimes they come put perfect and sometimes total mush, this past year I had to thorough away a whole 1 gallon jar they were so bad.
One thing I can recommend is when you get the cucumbers first thing you do soak them in the cold water, tap water is fine, for about an hour or so changing water at least 2-3 times. That will help prevent pickles being soft. Good luck.

P.S. Hey maybe this time I'll see you in Chicago, we (the whole family) will be there on 15-th of August.

P.P.S. Just checked your blog, big no-no, you should find a restaurant supply and by food grade pail. Those orange thing are only good for paint. Anoother problem yo Cannot use Kosher salt for pickling, you Must use pickling salt. Also though it is not a fact, but I think towel will prevent air flow to the inside of the pail and it is not good. That is just my theory, I recomend cheese cloth instead.

I just made up a bucket of pickles to ferment. From what I understand, the bucket should be marked HDPE and 2 for it to be food grade-marked on the bottom. They are available at Lowes for less than $3.
I used a university extension recipe of 1/2 cup salt, 1/4 cup vinegar to 2 quarts of water solution (X4), with dill and garlic.
I'm going to ferment it in the basement because it is getting into the 80's during the day here and that is too warm for them. They say 5 weeks for 60 degree fermentation. So-first week in September.

I didn't used anything to keep them crunchy as they are right out of the garden. We have grape vines growing wild along most country roads here so grape leaves would be easy to get if you wanted to use them.

Charlie-I thought kosher salt was iodine free and could be used in place of canning salt--but since kosher is less dense (flakier, lighter), it would have to be measured by weight instead of volume to get the correct amount. (?)

Maybe you right, I haven't look at kosher salt box for a while. But I thought there was something there.

Make sure you cut off the bloosom ends and do soak in ICE water at least 2 hrs. and use a good brand of vinegar. I learned this from trial and error.

Back
Top Bottom