Drunken Chicks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paymaster

Sous Chef
:D

I did non-alcohol drunken chicken tonite. I rubbed each with olive oil,and then used a different rub on each.A 1/2 can of MountainDew with each one's rub mixed in was inserted. Grilled at 325 degrees indirect with a smoker box of hickory providing a bit of smokey flavor.

Attachments

• Dr Chick 1.jpg
    Dr Chick 1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 295
  • Dr Chick 2.jpg
    Dr Chick 2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 310
  • Dr Chick 3.jpg
    Dr Chick 3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Dr Chick 4.jpg
    Dr Chick 4.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 310
That really does look good. How did the Mountain Dew enhance/change the flavor?

I don't think it does much more that any liguid would. The liguid in the can seems to speed the cook times a bit. But the spices in the can may help with taste. Thing is,I change up what I do every time I do this so I really can't say for sure. I am going to experiment next time and use Dew in one and Beer or CocaCola in the other and no rub or spice on either. I will report back with my findings!:chef:

Paymaster, do you always plug the neck opening? How big were the chickens and how long did they take to cook?

Those chicks sure look good! I always plug up the neck opening with half of a lemon, and pull the neck skin up and over the lemon securing the neck skin with tooth picks into the lemon. It keeps all the steam in the chicken by plugging up the chimney. I think it makes a lot a difference.;)

Yep.I plug the neck with potatoes or onions usually. This time I used a lime.

I will do this again in the next couple weeks maybe. I will update this thread.

The birds were fryer size. I use fryers due to they are usually younger more tender birds than baking hens.I did not pay attention to the weight. I cooked them for 1 hour and 50 minutes, until internal temp was 175-180 degrees in the thickest part of thigh.

Try using Vernors Gingerale... There is enough ginger in that to actually impart some flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom