Penne Alla Gorgonzola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
I am not fond of pasta but I love this.

1 lb penne (preferably ridged)
3 Tbs unsalted butter (I used salted butter and leave it out at the end)
1 Tbs thinly sliced fresh sage of 1 tsp dried sage crumbled
1 cup whole milk (I use 2%)
1/2 lb Gorgonzola or your favorite same type cheese
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
2 oz finely grated Parmigianno-Reggiano

Cook paste in a 6-8 qrt pot of boiling water until al dente, 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. While pasta boils, heat butter in a 12 inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until foam subsides, then cook sage stirring for 1 minute. Add milk, gorgonzola and cook stirring and breaking up cheese until sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes (sauce will be thin). Reduce heat to low and stir in pepper, nutmeg and salt to taste

Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water and drain pasta. Add pasta, parmesan to sauce stirring to coat. Thin, if necessary, with reserved pasta water.

Barb, gorgonzola is an Italian bleu cheese - it can either be 'dulce' (sweet), or more ripened (can't remember the Italian name), and very sharply 'bleu' in taste.

If we're not fond of blue cheese.. what would you advise we
use instead??

pdswife - you could probably use brie - or fontina - or a combination of the 2 - brie being smooth and creamy and fontina having a bit of a bite to it - it would be a nice combination.

I have some English Stilton that I bought my husband for Christmas - I guess that would work in this dish norgeskog?

I am not a bleu cheese fan but I love gorgonzola, it's one of my most favorite cheeses. To me there is a difference in the taste (of course it could be all mental :LOL:). A favorite restaurant of mine in Seattle has a fantastic spinach fettucine with gorgonzola cheese. MMM!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom