What to do with Rhubarb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I am inundated with rhubarb. My neighbor graciously asked if I would like some and I jumped at the offer - I love rhubarb but now I have a giant box FULL. Anyone have some great ideas outside the usual sauce and pie?

Last night I made sauce and stuck it in the freezer (15 pints) and there's hardly a dent in the box.

HELP!

Crisp and jam.

Chop up the rhubarb into dime sized chunks. Toss with a bit of flour and a handful of brown sugar, let sit a bit. (Can add strawberries or blueberries for variety)

Mix together a couple cups of brown sugar, about a cup of flour and a couple cups of oatmeal. Toss in about a cup of softened margarine. Work with your hands until its all incorporated and it looks "mealy" about pea sized chunks sticking together.

Toss a couple of handfuls into your cut up rhubarb and pour the rhubarb and oatmeal mixture into a baking pan (or several freezable containers), top with the remaining mixture. That should make 3 decent sized crisps for you Janet. I cover mine with foil and freeze them. Bake for about 1 hour from frozen (uncovered) at 350 and you have a lovely dessert.

*Bonus* if you use the tinfoil containers they bake well on the BBQ as you are doing your potatoes and tossing on your main course. Thaw them first though.

For jam, I just really stew the rhubarb til its mush and put it in little margarine tubs in either the fridge or freezer. Its great on jam or to make a "loaf" in place of smashed bananas.

Need more ideas? I got lots! I do a LOT of rhubarb every summer.

Rhubarb Soda

1 1/2 cups rhubarb, roughly chopped
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups water
Sparkling Water
Ice

1. Place rhubarb, sugar, and 1½ cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes, until the syrup is bright pink.

2. Turn off the heat and allow to cool. Strain syrup into a large jar.

3. To make each soda, measure ¼ cup rhubarb syrup into a glass. Add enough sparkling water to fill the glass ? full. Stir to mix, then add ice.

Servings: 6

Source: culinate.com

Author Notes
Recently my greed at the farmers? market prompted me to buy more rhubarb than I had time to fashion into tarts or pie. Instead I turned the stalks into syrup, which I then made into cocktails and sodas.

Spiced Rhubarb

10 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves - (to 1 tspn)
1/2 tsp ground allspice - (to 1 tspn)

1. In a large Dutch oven or kettle, combine all ingredients. Bring to a rapid boil; reduce heat and simmer for 60 to 70 minutes.

2. Pour into pint jars and refrigerate. Serve as a glaze for ham or spread on biscuits.

Yield: 4 pints

I will be making this desert tonight. It is a modification of a key lime pie recipe.

Easy Key Lime Pie

Ingrediants:
1/2 cup rhubarb juice (obtained by boiling, then draining the juice through a fine mesh sieve)
4 egg yolks
1 - 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
11 graham crackers
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Crush the graham crackers and combine with the sugar. Melt the butter and blend into the crust mixture. Spread evenly in a 9 inch pie to make the bottom and sides. Bake on our oven's center rack for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the crust is lightly brown. Remove and let cool completely.
While the crust is browning, whisk together the egg yolks and rhubarb juice until completely combined. Slowly whisk in the sweetened, condensed milk and set aside for about five minutes to thicken.
Pour the filling into the pie crust. Gently tap the pan on a table to eliminate bubbles and spread the filling evenly.. Bake for 15 minutes. Test by jiggling the pan. The custard jiggle just a little bit. Remove from oven and let cool for an hour. Refrigerate until well chilled.
You can make a sweetened meringue from the egg-whites to top the pie if you desire. Simply top the pie with the meringue and lightly brown the peakes under the broiler, or with a kitchen torch. Myself, I'm gonna be lazy and top with whipped cream.

I haven't made this yet, but believe it will turn out great. And if it works, it opens up a whole bunch of possible flavors. I have some concentrated blueberry juice that might be a very interesting flavor for this type of custard pie.

As for the rhubarb, simply boil up a bunch and pack into pint freezer containers or bags. You can then use as you wish for pies, crisps, ice-cream topping, to make sweet & sour sauce, or vinaigrette, etc. With a bit of imagination, I can see rhubarb juice used in all kinds of things where a sour flavor is a component. I might even try it in a barbecue sauce.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You could make chutney with the rubarb. Any fruit or vegetable can be used to make chutney. Cook the rubarb with sugar and vinegar, and whatever other spices you like in your chutney.

Mel:)

Rhubarb and Blueberries

When I want "simple" I'll be looking at bright clear flavours, such as this lovely poached fruit recipe with a sweet-sharp juice. Its deep purple-pink, inky sort of juice will lift your spirit and make you feel glad.

Serves 4

rhubarb - scant 8oz / 240g
blueberries - scant 7oz / 200g
caster sugar - 2 tablespoons
water - 3 tablespoons

Cut the rhubarb into short lengths. Put it in an ovenproof china or glass dish, tip in the blueberries then add the sugar and the water. Bake at 160°C/Gas 3 for about an hour, until the fruit is soft and the sugar and water have turned to deep pink juice. Serve warm or thoroughly chilled, without cream or other embellishment.

I am inundated with rhubarb. My neighbor graciously asked if I would like some and I jumped at the offer - I love rhubarb but now I have a giant box FULL. Anyone have some great ideas outside the usual sauce and pie?

Last night I made sauce and stuck it in the freezer (15 pints) and there's hardly a dent in the box.

HELP!

I have a great idea, either give some to someone else or throw it out.

Frank 2022

A lovely, light and delicious recipe for a lot of rhubarb

Apple and rhubarb purée with almond brittle

Serves 4

For the purée:
400g rhubarb
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp orange juice
500g sweet apples, such as Cox's

For the brittle:
50g skinned almonds, or halved pecans if you prefer
75g caster sugar
5 tbsp water

You will also need a non-stick baking sheet.

To make the purée, cut the rhubarb into short pieces, scatter over the sugar and the orange juice and bake for 20-25 minutes at 200C/gas mark 6 till soft enough to crush. (You can cook it over a moderate heat if you prefer.) Mash with a fork. While the rhubarb is cooking, peel the apples, core them and cook with a couple of tablespoons of water, no sugar, over a moderate heat. Crush to a purée with a fork.

To make the brittle, tip the nuts into a shallow pan and toast over a high heat for a minute or 2 till golden. Put the sugar into a small saucepan with the water and bring to the boil. Leave to bubble fiercely, without stirring, until the syrup changes to a rich brown. Tip in the toasted nuts, then pour the mixture carefully on to a lightly oiled non-stick baking sheet and leave to harden.

Smash the brittle into small pieces and set aside. Serve the 2 crushed fruits mixed together and scattered with almond brittle.

A lovely, light and delicious recipe for a lot of rhubarb

Apple and rhubarb purée with almond brittle

Serves 4

For the purée:
400g rhubarb
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp orange juice
500g sweet apples, such as Cox's

For the brittle:
50g skinned almonds, or halved pecans if you prefer
75g caster sugar
5 tbsp water

You will also need a non-stick baking sheet.

To make the purée, cut the rhubarb into short pieces, scatter over the sugar and the orange juice and bake for 20-25 minutes at 200C/gas mark 6 till soft enough to crush. (You can cook it over a moderate heat if you prefer.) Mash with a fork. While the rhubarb is cooking, peel the apples, core them and cook with a couple of tablespoons of water, no sugar, over a moderate heat. Crush to a purée with a fork.

To make the brittle, tip the nuts into a shallow pan and toast over a high heat for a minute or 2 till golden. Put the sugar into a small saucepan with the water and bring to the boil. Leave to bubble fiercely, without stirring, until the syrup changes to a rich brown. Tip in the toasted nuts, then pour the mixture carefully on to a lightly oiled non-stick baking sheet and leave to harden.

Smash the brittle into small pieces and set aside. Serve the 2 crushed fruits mixed together and scattered with almond brittle.

Linux, That recipe caught my eye too! It sounds fantastic. I think his roasted chicken sounds like a good dish to make some fall evening - or even a wintery dish. For those interested, here is the link!

~Kathleen

Linux, That recipe caught my eye too! It sounds fantastic. I think his roasted chicken sounds like a good dish to make some fall evening - or even a wintery dish. For those interested, here is the link!

~Kathleen

Oh, super - thank you! :D We are very fond of Nigel, his recipes we widely source because they adapt so easily for our brasserie's menus. And our customers keep coming back. We would so love to meet him.

This apple and rhubarb purée with its delicate almond brittle is perfect after a big meal, when all one wants is a dessert packed out with delicious flavours, but sits well on an already full tum. That said, the purée when chilled down in the fridge doesn’t hand around for long. :rolleyes:

Oh, super - thank you! :D We are very fond of Nigel, his recipes we widely source because they adapt so easily for our brasserie's menus. And our customers keep coming back. We would so love to meet him.

This apple and rhubarb purée with its delicate almond brittle is perfect after a big meal, when all one wants is a dessert packed out with delicious flavours, but sits well on an already full tum. That said, the purée when chilled down in the fridge doesn’t hand around for long. :rolleyes:

YW! I bet the combination of flavors is amazing! I'll have to make it when the weather cools down for us.

~Kathleen

YW! I bet the combination of flavors is amazing! I'll have to make it when the weather cools down for us.

~Kathleen

I'll give you tip about rhubarb. You know it's a pain to move around, or split the roots? Grow the brute on a compost heap, or one specifically set aside. Similarly, do the same for horseradish. The roots of it are even worse! But placed on a 'dunged-up hill' of about 3ft high, digging out the root is easy-peasy. ;)

Baked Rhubarb (Rhubarb Sauce)

Ingredients:
1-1/2 pounds rhubarb, peeled if necessary, and cut in 3 or 4 inch stalks.

1/4 cup water.

1 to 1-1/2 cups sugar.

Dash of salt.

Procedure:
Arrange the rhubarb in a 1-1/2-quart casserole with a cover. Add the water, sugar to taste, and salt. Cover tightly and bake at 350-degrees F. 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Chill and serve. Cooked rhubarb is good served with heavy cream or sour cream, with fresh strawberries if you like.

Rhubarb Julip is nice. Blitz stewed rhubarb with runny honey to taste, spritz it with homemade lemonade 50/50 and garnish with 5 spribngs of fresh mint.

Get some little ramicans cups, chop it up, mix it with some brown sugar, butter and dried cherries. Bake at 375 for 40mins. Yummy.

Back
Top Bottom