Pot luck this weekend!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

semlerae

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I'm new here but in good time! I'm planning a Pot Luck for this upcoming weekend.... so far on my menu I am making amazing black bean burgers, pasta salad with mixed veggies and artichoke hearts and peanut butter pie for dessert. I am looking for some other great meals I could cook up or bake.

What are you favourite summer time meals? This can include appetizers, main course, dessert, drinks, etc!

Soething that is a hit at every pot luck I've served it at is a great, juicy cole slaw. Here is my recipe.

Ingredients:
1 head of cabbage, green or purple, or mix together half of each. must be grated, not chopped.
1 onion, minced
2 carrots grated
3 to 4 tbs Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
2 tbs sugar
1/2 cup ice water
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 diced apple (optional)

Mix all ingredients together and chill. Serve cold.

Another hit is as follows - Sweet & Sour Bean Salad
2 cups water
12 oz can dark red kidney beans
12 oz can wax beans
12 oz can green beans
12 oz can garbanzo beans
1 midium onion, sliced
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
apple cider vinegar
sugar

Rinse and drain all the beans. Combine all ingrediants into a large bowl except for the vinegar and sugar. Add a quarter cup of sugar and stir until it's dissolved. Now add the vinegar, a little at a time. Stir it in. Taste. Continue adding the vinegar until the mixture tastes just right to you. Cover and chill. Serve cold. Many people add cooking oil to this recipe. I made a batch without the oil, just to experiment. It turned out very good. So why add the oil if you don't need to?

Pigs in the blanket, using good hot dogs and fresh bread dough was the most successful item I've ever taken to a pot luck, and I've taken many well received dishes. Another huge hit is a good apple pie, with a latticed top crust. Place bits of caramel between the lattice pieces. Yeh, people love that one too.

I've never taken home left over chili from a pot luck either.

I could go on. Just use your imagination. Key lime pie, Freshly baked bread, burgers, sausages, jello deserts, you name it. Try Knox Blocks. The recipe is on Knox Unflavored Gelatin. It makes a delicious finger jello.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the north

This is a sure fire pot luck winner, welcome.

Barbara’s Beans

¼ pound bacon
4 Bermuda onions
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp. mustard
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ cup tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup vinegar
¼ cup barbecue sauce

1 pound can lima beans
1 pound can kidney beans
1 larger can baked beans (Bush’s)

Slice bacon in one inch strips & fry. Separate onions slices and add to bacon after bacon is almost fully cooked. Stir in remaining ingredients except beans & simmer 20 minutes

Drain beans; mix everything together and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Notes:
Great recipe to serve with any barbecue.
Better after it sits a day or so too

This is always a hit:
CURRIED COUSCOUS SALAD WITH DRIED CRANBERRIES
(Note: I usually chill this about 4-5 hours. If chilling overnight, omit the green peas and add them a few hours before serving - otherwise, they lose color)(Also, I strain out the crushed garlic in the dressing before mixing into the salad):
Curried Couscous Salad with Dried Cranberries Recipe - MyRecipes.com

Here's another great one:
THAI-STYLE PASTA SALAD (I triple the dressing, but use less oil):
Thai-Style Pasta Salad Recipe

DESSERTS:

This is a great frozen dessert - very delicious and refreshing:
LEMON ICE CREAM SURPRISE (I use butter instead of margarine):
Lemon Ice Cream Surprise Recipe - Food.com - 92215

Two great brownie recipes:

SUPER-FUDGY TRIPLE CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO BROWNIES (from Cook's Illustrated):
Super Fudgy Triple Chocolate Espresso Brownies Recipe - Food.com - 41985

CHEWY BROWNIES (I bake for less time than indicated, about 32 minutes in a shiny metal pan):
Chewy Brownies - Fine Cooking Recipes, Techniques and Tips

Back
Top Bottom