Indian Corn Pudding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SillyOldBear

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone!

A couple of years ago, I had this wonderful casserole that the lady said was Indian Corn Pudding. I have since tried many recipes, and have not been able to come close to hers. I have also tried to get the recipe, but she won't budge.

Most of the corn puddings I've tried have been very moist, and had no bread. This one that she served was almost like a stuffing consistency. It contained corn, pieces of cornbread, chunks of what tasted like a heavy bread, and I am pretty sure it had a little bit of chicken/chicken stock in it. It was savory, but mildly sweet. She had it cut into squares that held their shape nicely. It was the best I'd ever had, and cannot find any recipe that comes close. Does anyone know if what she was serving was a form of Indian Corn Pudding? None of the Indian Corn Pudding, or regular corn pudding recipes even sounded close.

I hope that's enough information.

Thanks!!
SOB

Probably not what you are looking for, but this is the recipe out of my files and uses corn bread also. Very simple too.

Corn Pudding

2 15 1/4 oz cans Mexicorn - drained
1 14 3/4 oz can cream-style corn
1 8 oz package Jiffy corn-muffin mix
1 cup sour cream
1 stick butter - melted
1 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. In a large bowl, stir together the 3 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream and melted butter. Pour into a greased 2 qt. casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with Cheddar. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm. An excellent accompaniment to roasted meats.

This is a recipe called "Miller's Corn Pudding. It is from a cookbook called Historic Michie Tavern Museum - A famous tavern of the 1700's.

Miller's Corn Pudding

24 oz canned corn drained
3 eggs well beaten
1/2 pt whole milk
1/2 pt cream
1/4 cup all purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
1 ounce butter melted
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cream the butter and sugar. Mix thoroughly the remaining ingredients. Blend in the creamed mixture. Pour into a greased casserole and bake 50 - 60 minutes at 350 or until done. Yield 6 - 8 servings.

I hope this is close to what you want.

Last edited:
This is a recipe called "Miller's Corn Pudding. It is from a cookbook called Historic Michie Tavern Museum - A famous tavern of the 1700's.

Miller's Corn Pudding

24 oz canned corn drained
3 eggs well beaten
1/2 pt whole milk
1/2 pt cream
1/4 cup all purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
1 ounce butter melted
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cream the butter and sugar. Mix thoroughly the remaining ingredients. Blend in the creamed mixture. Pour into a greased casserole and bake 50 - 60 minutes at 350 or until done. Yield 6 - 8 servings.

I hope this is close to what you want.

I think this would be great made with fresh corn.

Thank you for the replies. I have tried the Corn Pudding with the Jiffy Cornbread mix. It's good - and we all like it but it's nothing like what I have been looking for. The Miller's recipe doesn't look like it either, because it doesn't call for bread in the recipe. I'll try it though - Just because it isn't what I'm looking for, doesn't mean I won't like it :)

Thank you again for the responses. The search goes on. I am beginning to wonder if it wasn't really a corn pudding that she served, because I haven't seen a corn pudding recipe yet, that is anywhere even similar to it.

Thanks!
SOB

Back
Top Bottom