Black mold in maple syrup bottle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bentrinh

Assistant Cook
There's some fuzzy black mold growing around the inside of the lid of the bottle. I cleaned it out and the maple syurp itself seems to be flawless. Should I trash it?

There's some fuzzy black mold growing around the inside of the lid of the bottle. I cleaned it out and the maple syurp itself seems to be flawless. Should I trash it?

If you want to keep it, I'd pour it into a pan and bring it to a boil first then pour it back into a clean bottle.

Living up here in maple syrup country, we know that mold in maple syrup, even if floating on top, does not harm the syrup. you simply pour or skim it off. However... Black mold differs from the white, or cream colored mold that grows in the syrup bottle. As black mold in buildings is a cause for serious concern, I would first wash the top of the syrup bottle, then put the syrup into a pan and boil it for about 5 minutes. While it's boiling, wash the bottle and cap in hot, soapy water, with a tsp. or so of bleach added. Rinse in clear, hot water. Add the syrup back in and you should be good to go.

I'm not an expert on molds, but the two words that raise the alarm flag for me are black, and mold.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Studies of mold that grows on jams, long thought to be just on the surface and easily just scraped off, was in error and the mold tentacles were growing throughout the jam.

I would not test your immune system. Throw it out. Also there is no guarantee that boiling for 5 minutes will destroy established spores of mold and possible other bacteria. Its definitely not the same thing as doing a fresh canning procedure.

Studies of mold that grows on jams, long thought to be just on the surface and easily just scraped off, was in error and the mold tentacles were growing throughout the jam.

I would not test your immune system. Throw it out. Also there is no guarantee that boiling for 5 minutes will destroy established spores of mold and possible other bacteria. Its definitely not the same thing as doing a fresh canning procedure.

Bacteria can't live or multiply in Maple syrup. The water activity is too low.

Then what do you call the black mold?

Mold and bacteria are totally different life forms, just like viruses and bacteria are different. Bacteria require certain conditions to live and grow. Pathogenic bacteria require even more exacting conditions. Examples are favorable temperature, time, food and moisture. Moisture is measured by "free water" and that is measured by water activity. If you read Bethzaring's link above you will find some information there.

There are no pathogenic bacteria or spores that will reproduce in maple syrup.

I have found the best solution to the OPs problem is to eat the maple syrup before it has a chance to become moldy. Bottles rarely last more than a month in my house in the fridge.

Maple syrup and honey are both hygroscopic in nature. That is, they absorb the moisture from organizms and soft tissues, such as meat. This is because of the extremly high sugar content. Nothing grows in honey, though some spores can exist in the sticky stuff, but not grow until more liquid is added. Syrup has more liquid in its sugar/liquid ratio. There are very few molds or other organisms that can live in it, and fortunately for us, are harmless to us, though they taste nasty. Though there is water in maple syrup, it is unavailable to most organisms. Instead, the sugar sucks the moisture out of them and they die.

As was previously stated by others, simply skim the mold from the top of the syrup, and then, if still feel funny about it, Carefully wipe the jar where any mold might have grown, and transfer the syrup to a clean, sterilized container.

In the Eastern U.S., and the Great Lakes region, people have been doing this with syrup for centuries, and I've never known anyone to get sick from eating maple syrup.

As with all things, use your best judgment. If you are uncomfortable using maple syrup, or any other food, throw it out. Myself, I've got the proverbial cast iron stomach. I'd skim it and use it.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I refrigerate my maple syrup. Before using I pour the desired amount in a small pitcher and microwave until warm.

If the black mold is only growing around the inside of the lid of the bottle and not in the bottle itself, wouldn't the contents be safe as long as they don't/haven't touched the mold?

I wouldn't dare it Phaedra

After all, it's not THAT expensive!

Usually, if you have mold growing it's because the bottle is not completely sealed and some air has gotten into the maple syrup bottle.

A finelly sealed maple syrup bottle will last easily up to 3 years unopened.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom