Use Neufchatel cheese for cheesecake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bevz

Assistant Cook
was planning to make a cheesecake today for a get together tomorrow, came home from the grocery store and realized I got neufchatal cheese:rolleyes:, can I use this in place of cream cheese?

Absolutely, and you'll be getting less fat in the bargain!

Okay, here's my take on this question. Yes, you could use neufchatel cheese in place of cream cheese, but why would you? Cheesecake is meant to be a "special occasion" dessert and the richness of the cream cheese is what makes cheesecake something you want to savor. A cheesecake with neufchatel will only be average, and I wouldn't waste my time. Please keep in mind though, that I'm a cheesecake fanatic, having won a blue ribbon at the Orange County Fair for mine. No offense meant to anyone.

Geez, I just re-read my post and it sounds arrogant and like I'm bragging. That was definitely not my intention. My apologies to all.

Okay, here's my take on this question. Yes, you could use neufchatel cheese in place of cream cheese, but why would you? Cheesecake is meant to be a "special occasion" dessert and the richness of the cream cheese is what makes cheesecake something you want to savor. A cheesecake with neufchatel will only be average, and I wouldn't waste my time. Please keep in mind though, that I'm a cheesecake fanatic, having won a blue ribbon at the Orange County Fair for mine. No offense meant to anyone.

I agree that a cheesecake is an indulgence. I once had a friend that often made diet low fat, low sugar cheesecakes. And I figure why bother. Just make a different low fat dessert. Cheesecake is supposed to be fattening!

why use Neufchatel cheese for cheesecake? well, it was what the OP had to use.

I regularly use soft fresh cheeses; Neufchatel, chevre, and ricotta, for cheesecakes so that is what I also have on hand to make cheesecakes. I find that these fresh soft cheeses benefit from an extra bump in the flavoring and the addition of a lump of butter. For the flavorings, I have used extra pure vanilla, almond extract and lemon or orange oil, with wonderful results.

Cheesecake made with neufchatel can be every bit as delicious as with cream cheese. I've used it for years in anything that calls for cream cheese and we love it. Taste is a matter of opinion and we all have those.

For a plain cheesecake, Neuchatel wouldn't even cross my mind. Not enough flavor in itself.

It will also cook rather differently with so little fat.

However, I would definitely consider it for a savory type cheesecake, especially served warm to amplify it's flavor. These would be in a single serving ramekin as it will likely fall apart if cut to serve warm.

For a plain cheesecake, Neuchatel wouldn't even cross my mind. Not enough flavor in itself.

It will also cook rather differently with so little fat.

However, I would definitely consider it for a savory type cheesecake, especially served warm to amplify it's flavor. These would be in a single serving ramekin as it will likely fall apart if cut to serve warm.

I have used Neuchatel for both savory and sweet cheesecakes, never had a problem with it.

Well I had a small taste while there and it was good and the pan was empty when we came home, so it wasn't to bad I guess. I made it raspberry swirl, I had made this recipe once before and it got very good, this time there was a grand canyon down the middle:{ last time I baked it in a pan of water even though the recipe did not ask to do that

Well I had a small taste while there and it was good and the pan was empty when we came home, so it wasn't to bad I guess. I made it raspberry swirl, I had made this recipe once before and it got very good, this time there was a grand canyon down the middle:{ last time I baked it in a pan of water even though the recipe did not ask to do that

Anytime I have cracks in the top (which is often!) I garnish with something like shaved or curled chocolate. White chocolate goes well with raspberry. Glad it turned out for you, sounds like it was great!

3 years later, and this post lives on. I stumbled on this forum when I Googled "neufchatel for cheesecake". I have to make 6 dozen mini cheesecakes for my husband to take to work, and just barely made it to the store before it closed. I walked out with a box of a dozen packages of ... you guessed it.... Neufchatel instead of cream cheese. I was so impressed by the helpfulness of the responses I joined your lovely group. I'll be making mini Neufchatel cheesecakes tomorrow morning (but might throw in a little butter to fatten it up). Wish me luck!

Welcome L J! Good luck with your mini cheesecakes. Like someone upthread said, you can use pure vanilla, maybe double strength, to add richness. I've used Neufchatel cheese, low-fat sour cream, and half sugar/half Splenda in baking for years. My BIL swears he won't eat anything but whole fat or pure sugar desserts and he can tell the difference. When he asks if that's how my dessert is made I cross my fingers and say "of course". And, of course, he thoroughly enjoys every bite! :LOL: Don't tell even IF someone asks. :brows:

Geez, I just re-read my post and it sounds arrogant and like I'm bragging. That was definitely not my intention. My apologies to all.

Apology accepted. Sometimes the written word comes across with all the wrong meaning. No harm done. And congrats on your blue ribbon. Considering the number of entrants, that is no mean feat. :angel:

I use cream cheese and some times I use Neufchâtel cheese. I really like cheesecake with Neufchâtel Cheese or cream cheese it doesn’t matter they are both really good I have one numerous blue ribbons for my regular cream cheese cheesecake and my Neufchâtel cheese. Just don’t tell the french that Neufchâtel cheesecake is good they will get mad

Back
Top Bottom