ISO advice/help using Shun honing steel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baylorbeargp

Assistant Cook
I just purchased an 8" shun classic chefs knife and a shun classic 9" honing steel. I love the knife. I know the steel has a guide to hone at a 16 degree angle. The hand guard on the honing steel is flat on one side and round on the other sides kind of like a "D". Is the guide the round or flat side of the "D"? I can't tell from any photos or videos any help would be greatly appreciated.

A coworker of mine has one. I'll look to see when I see work with him again, but I think he's off the rest of the week. Honestly it doesn't matter much, the "guide" is pretty minimal. The steel is really too coarse, anyways. If you have to use it, use a light touch. Steel at slightly more than the 16 degree angle of the knife edge, roughly 17-20 degrees. Go slowly and deliberately, don't flail away at it like the TV personalities masquerading as chefs do. Only a few strokes per side is necessary. More than that means you're trying to sharpen, not hone. And it ain't a sharpener.

Welcome to CD, baylorbeargp!:)

Best way to use a steel in my experience.

1) Hold the steel vertically with your left hand with the tip resting on a tea towel on the bench.
This holds the steel in a constant position and the towel protects the knife if you slip.

2) Run the knife down the blade. Imagine you are trying to take very thin slices off the steel. On the down stroke pull the blade back from the heel to the tip.

3) Repeat alternating left to right.

4) Concentrate on technique not speed. You want to maintain your angles at as constant a level as you can.

I find this method is safest for both you and your knife.

Not sure how the "D" shape influences this advice, but in the worst case you could just keep on flipping the steel between each stroke.

Thank you all very much for the replys. Worked like a charm and honed my knife today for the first time! I have to say I love the knife and it has made cooking a lot more fun.This forum is amazing and everyone is so nice thank you all! I've learned that the flat end of the "D" is for honing smaller knives..aparently. Thank you all again.

Back
Top Bottom