Smoked Sausage in Tamale Wrapper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
A couple of months ago Mrs .40 and I were watching Diners Driveins and Dives. One of the foods featured on this episode was a handmade sausage mixture that was rolled in a tamale wrapper and then put on a smoker to cook.

I've looked and looked for a copy of this recipe and can't seem to find it. Anyone have a copy or even heard of something like this?

What was the name of the resturant? I know someone who has one or two of the DDD cook books but I think the recipes are arranged by resturant.

We own both of the DDD cookbooks and this particular recipe isn't listed. I've set the DVR to record all episodes so I'll catch it eventually. Mrs .40 has made her wishes on this topic very clear. I must be dogged and relentless in my search.

If you were to create your own recipe for this food you saw on TV and presented it to her for dinner, how would she ever know it wasn't the recipe she saw on TV...

Just sayin'

If you were to create your own recipe for this food you saw on TV and presented it to her for dinner, how would she ever know it wasn't the recipe she saw on TV...

Just sayin'

Probably not. The way it was made was pretty unique. Veggies and spices ground into the meat mixture.

Have you checked for that episode on Youtube?

What a great idea... I'll try that when we get home from the grocery.

Did you find it yet? I've been watching DDD's all day. Anything that has to so with smoke or bbq. Nothing yet. But did notice Guy wearing the same striped shirt 4 times.. :)

Munky.

Found it!

The copy of the recipe on FN says it has not been tested. When I get a chance, I'll whip up a batch and post the results along with any tweaks.

Youtube video of the episode.

img_915336_0_f4c20d473934b366cc1bca0b0f42f782.gif
WOW........glad you found it .40 !!
img_915336_0_f4c20d473934b366cc1bca0b0f42f782.gif

The sausage turned out great. I still think it needs a little something in the seasoning department. Perhaps sage but not sure yet. The were incredibly juicy. Not greasy just moist.

I took a few pics...

Just before taking out to the smoker.
IMG_0296.JPG

After 3 hours on smoke. Just turning up the heat.
IMG_0297.JPG

After 1 hour at 300. 1 in wrapper, 1 out of wrapper, and a few slices.
IMG_0298.JPG

Here is a copy of my tweaked recipe. Let me know if you try making this one.

Jalapeno Sausage in Tamale Wrappers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Adapted from Diners, Drive-ins and Dives
Yield: 20 4" sausages

Ingredients:

(null) corn husks, soaked
3 lbs. coarsely ground pork butt
5 chopped and seeded jalapenos
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons coarse grind black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
1 tablespoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon chicken base, disolved in 2 tablespoons water

Directions:

Heat a smoker or grill to 250 degrees F.

Soak corn husks in warm water for 15 minutes.

Special equipment:
Kitchen Aid stand mixer with Food Grinder Attachment (FGA):
Trager Pellet Smoker

Reduce primal into 1" x 1" strips with sharp knife. Trim away any excessive fat but product should have 15 - 20% fat content included. Place strips on tray in freezer for about 30 minutes until meat is firm but not frozen. Immediately grind strips of ice cold pork using coarse plates of FGA into stand mixer bowl.

Add remaining ingredients. Mix well by hand. Sausage mixture should hold its shape when formed into a ball. Add small amount of water if needed to bind. Put approximately 4 ounces of the sausage mixture in each corn husk. Sausage should be about 1 inch in diameter and about 4 inches long. Roll sausage inside husk and twist ends. Tie each end tightly with string to secure

Set Traeger to smoke setting and smoke sausages for 3 hours. Raise temperature to 300 degrees and cook until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F about 1 hour.

Transfer the sausages to a serving platter and serve in the husk.

I'm so glad to see this report .40, and thanks so much for the pictures!! I was wondering if you'd actually make them, after finally finding how to do them. Hats off to you .40 !!

WOW WOW WOW......I'd love to have a bite!! Good job !!:clap:

Last edited:
They look awesome!! (PHEWWWWWWWWWW I was getting worried after your comment about my dinner!!) LOL I wish I had a smoker!!

Nice job!!!

Thank you. You tube was making me crazy searching for it. Glad you found it!

I had the mental picture of it all wrong. Well of course. It's me here :)
Was thinking of the traditional tamales that were put together and then placed into the smoker.

Ground fennel seeds 1 tsp per Lb and a little wine to marinate in the meat over night, might do if you aren't happy with using sage.

Glad you found it and posted where to look. Thank you.

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom