Hot Buttered Rum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linux

Washing Up
Hot Buttered Rum - a stonking good drink to keep the cold out.
Serves 1

2 spoons runny honey
1 large knob butter, unsalted
2 shots golden rum (Appleton's or Wood's 47% (100% abv)
Freshly grated nutmeg
Cider or, water
Cinnamon stick
Slice of lemon
Cloves

Boil the water or, heat the cider.
Place a spoon loaded with honey in a warmed glass.
Add the butter, rum and nutmeg and stir until the honey and butter are dissolved.
Serve in a toddy glass and, garnish with a cinnamon stick, and a slice of lemon studded with cloves.

really, it's not a lot more work than that? I remember on Frasier he was stirring it for hours ...

really, it's not a lot more work than that? I remember on Frasier he was stirring it for hours ...

It is a lovely, heart-warming drink that's no trouble to make, if you follow the recipe as written. I promise. :)

I know you basically told what type of rum to use... but, generally speaking, what is a good rule of thumb for the type of rum to use in hot buttered rum? I want to try making it as the weather turns colder but the only rum I have is Bicardi Gold and Silver, which I'm pretty sure wouldn't make the best hot buttered rum. Or would they? I was thinking like a dark / spiced rum would be best... but I've never made it before so I really don't know. What are your suggestions?

I know you basically told what type of rum to use... but, generally speaking, what is a good rule of thumb for the type of rum to use in hot buttered rum? I want to try making it as the weather turns colder but the only rum I have is Bicardi Gold and Silver, which I'm pretty sure wouldn't make the best hot buttered rum. Or would they? I was thinking like a dark / spiced rum would be best... but I've never made it before so I really don't know. What are your suggestions?

Use Meyer's Dark Rum...simply the best for Hot Buttered Rum.:pig:

Reminds me of my first romantic cold-weather date with my (now) husband. Also of my first miserable hangover. Pretty much ruined my second date since it was brunch the next day. Should have known it was a good match when after trying to jolly me through brunch, he gave up, and remembered that I'd told him when I feel bad I like Lipton's chicken soup and ice cream. Instead of being discouraged with me not being up for brunch the next day, we ate a little, listened to some lovely harp music at the brunch location, but then stopped and bought me the above stuff, settled me in my apartment, and knew enough to leave a hung-over girl to herself. Thought he'd never call again, and now we've been together for over 30 years.

E Claire you little minx, its just started snowing so you have given me an idea for this afternoon, roaring fire, buttered rum, the dog blanket has hairs on it so that will have to do. Now all I have to do is remember this:)

Sounds great, Linux. I make something similar, that I call a hot toddy, for someone who's got a bad cold and cough and needs to sleep. I use whisky and tea, though, and add a shot of lemon juice. It helps you sweat out the fever, soothes the throat, calms the cough and helps you sleep.
You may still be sick, but after one or two of these, you won't care.

I recently had hot buttered rum and asked about the recipie as it was unlike any I'd ever had.

Make a batter - Cream together in mixer:

1/2 gal good quality vanilla Ice-cream (softened)
1 lb butter (softened)
12 oz brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
2 tsp vanilla

You can freeze this or store it in fridge.

Assemble drink:

In warmed mug: fill 1/4 full of batter, add a generous shot of Meyers dark rum and then fill to top with boiling water. Sprinkle on nutmeg and serve.

Fabulous.

I was told this recipe has NO calories when the outside temp is below 17 and during the entire month of December.

Last edited:
I recently had hot buttered rum and asked about the recipie as it was unlike any I'd ever had.

Make a batter - Cream together in mixer:

1/2 gal good quality vanilla Ice-cream (softened)
1 lb butter (softened)
12 oz brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
2 tsp vanilla

You can freeze this or store it in fridge.

Assemble drink:

In warmed mug: fill 1/4 full of batter, add a generous shot of Meyers dark rum and then fill to top with boiling water. Sprinkle on nutmeg and serve.

Fabulous.

I was told this recipe has NO calories when the outside temp is below 17 and during the entire month of December.

This is the other one that I bumped and subscribed to. Have you tried either or both of these recipes? I've not done it yet, but tonight is the night.

Question on caloric intake: If it is December, AND below 17 does that mean it has negative calories? :cool:

I had the Ice Cream version last weekend. I had seconds just to make sure I loved it ;)

They were making it for a crowd - I imagine you could scale back the size of the 'batter' batch. It's appealing however because you can make the batter way ahead of time and just heat, add rum and serve at the last minute.

Not sure about the calorie question... but it makes sense to me :)

Last edited:
I had the Ice Cream version last weekend. I had seconds just to make sure I loved it ;)

They were making it for a crowd - I imagine you could scale back the size of the 'batter' batch. It's appealing however because you can make the batter way ahead of time and just heat, add rum and serve at the last minute.

Not sure about the calorie question... but it makes sense to me :)

If you are just making a couple, two, three you can use a commercial butterscotch ice cream topping and a scoop of ice cream. If it does not taste quite right add more rum! :LOL:

I've never tried this hot buttered rum but it sounds so good. Why is it not being sold everywhere? Thanks for the inspiration

Back
Top Bottom