New Ways To Enjoy Chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrissy13

Cook
I really love chicken, but that's the only kind of meat I enjoy eating and I think I'm becoming rather tired of it. What are some healthy and delicious ways I can cook chicken other than grilling it? :chef:

I am new to cooking and need all the help I can get please :)

Our favorite is smoked chicken. The teenagers won't eat legs or thighs so we usually just buy split breasts.

When I get them home, I remove all of the skin and use shears to remove all of the fat I can. Then, drizzle with olive oil and generously apply a spice mixture. Almost anything works. Salt and Pepper, lemon pepper, poultry seasoning, cajun seasoning, or a traditional BBQ rub.

Place in rib rack with the thickest part at the bottom. I always insert a temperature probe at this point as well.

Any indirect smoker setup will work. I use a Traeger.

Smoke at low temperature 185 degrees for 3 hours. Increase temp to 300 for the last hour or until internal temp reaches 180 degrees.

Hi Chrissy!

Try our Chicken In The Pot - this is typical Indian food that is easy to make providing you set out all the ingredients accordingly. Don't worry - put the spices in little saucers, the onion and the garlic in another.. rustling up Indian food then becomes far easier to manage than you could imagine. :)
Serves 4

2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 teaspoons cumin seed
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
250g / 8 ounces fresh tomatoes, peel-blanched
OR, 225g / 8 ounces of canned tomatoes, blended until smooth in a food processor
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped including seeds
1.5 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons garam masala (you can buy it ready-made)
2 generous handfuls fresh coriander, chopped
4 large chicken thighs, skinned
3 spring (green) onions (2 will do), finely chopped

Heat oil in large pan, add the cumin seed and when sizzling, the onion and garlic.

Fry until golden brown.

Remove from the heat, add the tomato, ginger, chillies, salt, turmeric, garam masala and about half the fresh coriander.

Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture separates out from the oil and thickens slightly. It is important that the oil separates.

Add the chicken and stir-fry for a few minutes, coating each piece with the sauce.

Add some boiling water just to cover, and bring to the boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove the lid, raise the heat and thicken the sauce for 5 minutes.

Garnish with spring onion and the remainder of the coriander.

Smoked chicken sounds really good! I love cajun seasoning! I need to try this. :)

Do you cook blackened chicken? If so, do you have a good recipe for ? I've had it at restaurants and it seems to have so much flavor with the spices they use. What kind of spices would I use for this?

Hi Chrissy!

Try our Chicken In The Pot - this is typical Indian food that is easy to make providing you set out all the ingredients accordingly. Don't worry - put the spices in little saucers, the onion and the garlic in another.. rustling up Indian food then becomes far easier to manage than you could imagine. :)
Serves 4

2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 teaspoons cumin seed
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
250g / 8 ounces fresh tomatoes, peel-blanched
OR, 225g / 8 ounces of canned tomatoes, blended until smooth in a food processor
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped including seeds
1.5 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons garam masala (you can buy it ready-made)
2 generous handfuls fresh coriander, chopped
4 large chicken thighs, skinned
3 spring (green) onions (2 will do), finely chopped

Heat oil in large pan, add the cumin seed and when sizzling, the onion and garlic.

Fry until golden brown.

Remove from the heat, add the tomato, ginger, chillies, salt, turmeric, garam masala and about half the fresh coriander.

Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture separates out from the oil and thickens slightly. It is important that the oil separates.

Add the chicken and stir-fry for a few minutes, coating each piece with the sauce.

Add some boiling water just to cover, and bring to the boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove the lid, raise the heat and thicken the sauce for 5 minutes.

Garnish with spring onion and the remainder of the coriander.

Wow thank you! I'd love to add red pepper to this to make it a little spicy. :)

Smoked chicken sounds really good! I love cajun seasoning! I need to try this. :)

Do you cook blackened chicken? If so, do you have a good recipe for ? I've had it at restaurants and it seems to have so much flavor with the spices they use. What kind of spices would I use for this?

Blackening chicken is really easy. Heat a cast iron skillet to BLAZING hot (read surface of the sun).

Prepare the chicken with olive oil drizzle and cover in cajun spice. Place in hot skillet to brown / blacken the spice. Remove to 350 oven to finish cooking. My cajun relations always serve this over pasta alfredo.

Blackening chicken is really easy. Heat a cast iron skillet to BLAZING hot (read surface of the sun).

Prepare the chicken with olive oil drizzle and cover in cajun spice. Place in hot skillet to brown / blacken the spice. Remove to 350 oven to finish cooking. My cajun relations always serve this over pasta alfredo.

That does sound easy thanks! I don't need to add any other spices? Will the cajun spice give the chicken all the flavor it needs?

That does sound easy thanks! I don't need to add any other spices? Will the cajun spice give the chicken all the flavor it needs?

It works for me but season to your tastes. Our teens think the spice I referenced is way too hot but Mrs .40 and I like it.

That's fair. Check out the Chicken forum here. It is endless source of good recipes. If you find some thing you like, but have a question about it, I am sure we will be able to help further.

Check out the "Chicken, Turkey..." forum on this site. Hundreds of recipes posted by our members.

Sometiems we'll cook a bunch of chicken earlier in the week and use it for different dishes when we're too lazy to cook. Quesadilas, chicken salad, etc

Try this Kung Pao Chicken Recipe:

Ingredients:
Servings: 4
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons light sesame oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons green onions, chopped with tops
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4-1 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to your own taste)
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger (can use fresh grated if preferred)
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts
4 cups cooked rice, hot
Directions:
Combine chicken and cornstarch in small bowl.
2 Toss to coat.
3 Heat oil in large non-stick skillet or wok on medium heat.
4 Add chicken.
5 Stir fry 5- 7 minutes or until no longer pink in center.
6 Remove from heat.
7 Add onions, garlic, red pepper and ginger to skillet.
8 Stir fry 15 seconds.
9 Remove from heat.
10 Combine vinegar, soy sauce and sugar in small bowl.
11 Stir well.
12 Add to skillet.
13 Return chicken to skillet.
14 Stir until chicken is well coated.
15 Stir in nuts.
16 Heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally.
17 Serve over hot rice.

Attachments

• kong-bao-chicken.jpg
    kong-bao-chicken.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Try this Kung Pao Chicken Recipe:

Ingredients:
Servings: 4
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons light sesame oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons green onions, chopped with tops
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4-1 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to your own taste)
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger (can use fresh grated if preferred)
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts
4 cups cooked rice, hot
Directions:
Combine chicken and cornstarch in small bowl.
2 Toss to coat.
3 Heat oil in large non-stick skillet or wok on medium heat.
4 Add chicken.
5 Stir fry 5- 7 minutes or until no longer pink in center.
6 Remove from heat.
7 Add onions, garlic, red pepper and ginger to skillet.
8 Stir fry 15 seconds.
9 Remove from heat.
10 Combine vinegar, soy sauce and sugar in small bowl.
11 Stir well.
12 Add to skillet.
13 Return chicken to skillet.
14 Stir until chicken is well coated.
15 Stir in nuts.
16 Heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally.
17 Serve over hot rice.

That looks so good! Do I have to stir it in nuts though?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom