Ostrich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linux

Washing Up
img_915156_0_0e8c20e4917cab56487caa3c7e155bcb.jpg

Ostrich lends itself to quick, easy cooking methods, perfect for people who want fast but nutritious food after a busy day, plated up in time for their evening television, or al fresco Olly for barbeque enthusiasts who aren’t fussed with a bit of mothburger on the side. It can be pan fried in olive oil to retain the healthy properties, dressed in a vinaigrette tutu, or so some idiot wrote in our local newspaper. Okay. But Olly never sold in our British supermarkets at anything like the expected quantities, and it couldn’t even be sold as a BOGOF, let alone given away. :rolleyes:

But has ostrich meat ever caught on in the States, or Australia, I wonder? Or, have you lot got your heads in the sand until this latest craze passes, so you can get back to enjoying a nice bit of T-bone steak, or glorious rib eye?

Gimme the steak anytime. :-p

Ostrich is still a bit obscure in the states. I have never seen it in the market, but I have had it a few times as places that serve things that most others don't. I think it is delicious and I wish it were easier to find here.

Ostrich meat over here I remember, was as expensive as steak! Supermarkets do their customers no favours, especially when the ostrich packs were placed on the same shelves. Typically, we Brits are wary of new things, and despite the supermarkets began offering Buy One Get One Free, went for what we knew was yummy and good. ;)

It's a curious thing. We have a very large, fairly well known, Ostrich Farm on the outskirts of the city. A few local restaurants serve the meat, but only as a menu novelty. I've never seen them offered at markets, either fresh or frozen. One of these days, I'll have to go visit the farm and ask them why not?

To be sure, they're served in Australia, but there also, I think it's more of a novelty, with tourists buying the bulk of ostrich meat as souvenir dried jerky at Sydney's airport giftshops. I could be wrong...

I too like ostrich. Very lean, a bit gamey. Someday, I'd like to try gnaw on a drumstick!

I never took to it, back in the day when I ate whatever, I've had it number of times, but it was never wow, or even good enought to make it a staple on my table. Nowadays I would not eat it for other reasons, so I really do not care.

Me. I like gamey meats like wild rabbit, ruffed grouse, venison, goat, elk, and lamb. So when I tried ostrich, I found it delicious. I wish I could get it around here, but alas, in these parts, such things even as celery root are not available. The area I live in is rich in wild game, more fresh water than anywhere else on the planet, amazing fresh water fishing, and some of the most beautiful forests on the planet. But what's available in our markets is spartan at best. We have beef, at exhorbitant prices, pork, chicken, cornish game hens, turkey, and seafood comes to us at a premium price. Occasionally, you will find calves liver, or beef heat. I've even seen tongue once. But the meats and fresh vegie variety is very limited:(.

Ah well, no sense in worrying about what isn't around when what we do have is so easily enjoyed.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom