Using lids that come with new jars.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe I don't understand. But why wouldn't you use the lid that comes with a jar you have bought? What kind of jars are you talking about? Why buy something you aren't going to use?

I have bought boxes of jars befor that have had some lids sealed on to the jar. From either being stored in a how wearhouse or in the sun. I never use those. So was just wondering if there was a reason not to use them.

Ok what kind of jars are you talking about? New, unused Mason canning jars? Or with food in them like jelly?

I use the lids that come with the jars, and when I am done with whatever I canned, I buy new lids and use the old jars.

I have had some new jars, that when I opened the box and unscrewed the bands, the flats were 'sealed' to the jars. I think that is what MN Taxi is talking about.

I use them, and have never had a problem.

I have read that as long as the lid hasn't been processed, they are still viable. You might want to call your extension office to be sure. I think you are right to be safer than sorry.

The "sealing" on commercially purchased jars is not sufficient to imprint or damage the flats in any way. If you look at a used lid from proper canning you will immediately notice a deep imprint caused by the heat and vacuum sealing.

I've actually used new lids for vacuum sealing with my FoodSaver and the lids were still viable for canning since the rubber seal was not depressed permanently by a heat process.

Use your new lids from the jars with confidence.

Back
Top Bottom